Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 776: 1990 Star Gold - #91

Barry Larkin
Year:
  1990
Brand:  Star Gold
Card number:  91 


The 1990 Star Gold set had a stated print run of "only" 1500 sets.  Of course, given the overproduction of baseball cards around the late 80s and early 90s, I'd say a size 1500 print run is actually quite limited for the time!  As for the set, I haven't found much information about it (other than a checklist over at TCDB).  I do know that Barry has nine different cards in the set (card numbers 91 - 99).  I also know that I own all of those cards so you'll be seeing each one in due time!

Turning our attention to this specific card, it's sort of your "classic" baseball card in that you get a perfectly fine (albeit kind of boring) front image and then career statistics on the back.  I do like the little note at the bottom of the card back that says not only when Barry was drafted but who scouted him.  Way to go Gene Bennett!  

As I said earlier, I do own all of the Star Gold Larkin cards from this set (except for the promo card which I hope to eventually find as well).  I'll probably rattle the remaining eight cards off in fairly quick succession so that I can complete this portion of my Barry Larkin Collection webpage!

Comments

  1. I feel like these early 90's Star sets are hidden treasures (assuming their print counts are accurate). I've picked up a few sets in dollar bins, but like you stated... the print runs are really low considering it was in an era when card companies printed hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of each base card. Plus I've seen vendors asking crazy prices for these sets in old issues of Tuff Stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment