Featured Post

Delivery Time! Remember the Astrodome Might Be a Psychic

 A few weeks ago, I received an envelope from Marc over at MarcBrubaker.com.  Marc must be a Pyschic because inside that envelope was a 1991 Barry Larkin Donruss card.  Now, you'd probably be forgiven for thinking that that card is a duplicate for me...and normally you'd be right BUT over the past few weeks, I've been trying to completely organize my "early year" Larkins (1986 - 1991 in particular).  One thing to come out of the full reorganization is the fact that there are a bunch of different variations for some of the Donruss sets from that era (including, you guessed it, 1991 Donruss).

Well, it just so happened that I already had two of the three variations in my collection (thanks to me having a rather robust pile of what I assumed was duplicate Donruss Larkin cards)!  That all said, I didn't have the third version for a number of different cards...but at least now I do have the third version for one 1991 Donruss card: 


That's the hobby factory set version of Barry's base card.  The difference is in the stripes on the side of the card.  For comparison, here's the pack version of the same card: 


See, it's all in the stripes! 


Marc also threw in a couple of newer Larkin cards (circa 2020)...it'll be awhile before I work my way up to organizing the newest Larkins but I certainly appreciate any sent my way now!

Finally, I'd be remiss if it didn't show off a few of my favorite "random" Reds that Marc also managed to squeeze in the PWE. 


Many thanks for the trade package, Marc!


Comments

  1. I had heard of the different stripes before, but had never sought out an example. It's kind of subtle, and not one that I'd ever be able to remember off of the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, those variations have been driving me crazy. I had one of the factory sets fall in my lap last year when yet another friend gave me his unwanted childhood cards. Are there more Larkins in the set? If so, I’ll have them. Glad you needed that one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment