Featured Post

Harpooning a Great White Whale for my Collection!

 Beginning last December, I've been making a concerted effort to try and whittle down my want list by all means necessary.  This means lots of TCDB trading, but also a fair bit of looking for deals to buy on sites like COMC, Sportlots, etc. as well as eBay.  

For today, I am pleased to be able to present a pair of relics that I needed for my 2010 Allen & Ginter set build.  The first relic isn't incredibly rare, though I do believe it is short-printed (I still haven't found an official list of the production numbers for any of the 2010 Ginter relics).  


That's Preston Pittman, champion turkey caller.  For the longest time, I was watching a Preston Pittman relic on eBay - it had been listed for months and months with a Buy it Now of about $30 as well as a "Best Offer" option.  I submitted multiple best offers without ever getting any actual response...and so I gave up.  When this other Pittman became available from a different seller, I pounced!

Being down to needing only 10 relics (actually 8 thanks to the two I acquired in this post), it isn't easy to find the remaining cards I need.  Thus, I try to remain vigilant with my eBay searches...and wouldn't you know it?  The same seller that listed the Pittman had another relic I needed - arguably the biggest name left on the checklist for me to acquire:  


Tony Hawk with an authentic piece of his skateboard embedded within it!  Of the remaining ten relics at the time, this was the one that I expected was going to cost me the most actual dollars.  As it turned out, while not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, I thought I ended up with a fairly good deal on this particular card. 

With those two relics now in hand, I'm down to only needing eight more - though I fear that most (maybe even all?) of the remaining eight are short-printed relics to one degree or another.  Still, I haven't given up yet...so if you happen to have a lead on any of the remaining relics that I need, please, by all means let me know!

2010 Allen & Ginter Wants:

World's Biggest:  6, 7, 9, 14, 15, 19, 25

Celestial Stars:  CS 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11

Regular back minis:  6, 8, 20, 34, 54, 58, 106, 109,  114, 170, 178, 184, 212, 228, 230, 231, 235, 246, 254, 274, 280, 294

Relics:

  • AJ.  Avery Jenkins
  • DH.  Dan Haren
  • DU.  Dan Uggla
  • KF.  Kosuke Fukudome
  • LB.  Lance Berkman
  • MM.  Marvin Miller
  • NF.  Neftali Feliz
  • RH.  Ryan Howard (bat only)

Patience, patience, patience.  That's the name of the game when attempting to collect crazy sets like 2010 Allen & Ginter!

Comments

  1. Turkey Caller relic...gotta say, that's a new one to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Hawk is sweet. Very cool looking card. Congratulations on getting two steps closer to completing this set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Hawk! I just discovered I have his 1990 SI for Kids card that is commanding a pretty penny right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither Tony Hawk or skateboarding due a lot for me, but getting a piece of skateboard in a relic card is kind of interesting, at least it's different.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment