Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 787: 1989 O-Pee-Chee - #363

Barry Larkin
Year:  1989
Brand:  O-Pee-Chee
Card number:  363


Thanks to some trading over on TCDB, I've been able to acquire a few of the early Barry Larkin Canadian-issued O-Pee-Chee cards that probably otherwise would have never shown up in my neck of the woods.  

Like other O-Pee-Chee releases in the late 1980s, the 1989 set closely mimics the 1989 Topps set.  In fact, other than the change of logo, card number, and the French text on the back of the card, the two versions of Barry's card are virtually identical.  However, I suppose there are enough differences between the two sets to actually consider them different releases rather than parallels of each other (this is especially true since the checklists of the two sets aren't necessarily identical, the O-Pee-Chee brand over-emphasized Canadian teams - for good reason).

By my count, I now own 30 of the 56 known (to me) Barry Larkin cards from 1989.  It's amazing that Barry has that many different cards from '89, especially since card "improvements" like parallels really weren't a thing quite yet!  

Comments

  1. Didn't appreciate OPC cards when I was younger... but ever since I return to the hobby in 2007/2008... I've enjoyed picking them up whenever I can find that at reasonable prices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment