Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 788: 1988 Topps Stickers - #140 - Variation 3

Barry Larkin
Year:  1988
Brand:  Topps Stickers
Card number:  140


The 1988 Topps Stickers set features Barry Larkin paired with other players.  To my knowledge, there are four different combinations of stickers that Larkin can be paired with.  In my personal Excel spreadsheet where I keep all of my Barry Larkin information, I have this particular pairing of Larkin, Ivan Calderon, and Eric Davis on the back listed as variation #3 - the labeling is arbitrary but it helps me keep track of things!  In a future Barry Larkin Collection post, I'll show off variation #1 which features the same two stickers on the front but a different player on the full-sized back of the card.  As of the time of this post, I don't own the other two variations but since none of the sticker cards are particularly rare (to the best of my knowledge anyhow), I have faith I'll be able to track them all down eventually!

As for the "card" itself, I have to say that this isn't my favorite set in the world.  From the moment I saw this set as a kid, I hated the fact that the player names weren't on the stickers themselves - sure, the back card is fine but the stickers (the actual draw of the set) are terrible for young kids (such as me back in 1988)!  Heck, as an adult collector I still don't like the fact that there aren't player names...I mean, how should I know who that random White Sox guy is next to Larkin?!  

Comments

  1. Which one is Larkin? All I see is Ivan Calderon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which one is Larkin? All I see is Ivan Calderon

    ReplyDelete
  3. This set is so crazy in regards to variations, but I guess it could be considered fun for those who like challenges. Best of luck grabbing all of the Larkins. Depending on your point of view, you're kinda lucky he doesn't have a card where he's on the back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment