Featured Post

Buying Cards from TCDB!

Today's TCDB post is a light one in terms of the number of trades I completed this past week...but it's heavy in terms of the number of cards I ended up receiving!

We begin with a package from user NYMHall.  This wasn't a trade but instead it was a sale where I bought a bunch of cards off of NYMHall.  Like many of my TCDB deals, this one had a nice mix of new (to me) Barry Larkin cards as well as a bunch of stuff from my want list.  I'll save the Larkin cards until later, so let's start with the want list needs in chronological order beginning with a single card from 1996 Collector's Choice:  


I think there's a real chance that I'll be able to finish off the 1996 Collector's Choice set this year.  Those cards have been quite easy to come by over on TCDB, so easy, in fact, that I haven't even tried to make a concerted effort to track down the last few that I need.  Soon I'll have to do that!

Next, a pile of 1999 Pacific (9 cards total).  


Collecting this set has been a bit more difficult but thanks to TCDB I've made a lot of progress on it lately.  Actually, I've done well with both of the 1999 Pacific-issued sets that I'm currently working on - including with this trade!

I was able to nab another 7 cards from the 1999 Pacific Aurora set.  


Next, from 2004 I bought four more base cards that I needed from the Upper Deck Vintage set. 


That's another set that I've had decent luck with on TCDB - and another set that I should be able to finish off this year if I keep working at it.  

You might think that I didn't get anything overly special (or worth buying with actual dollars) so far and you'd be right...but that changes with my next card:


That's one of the many, many short prints from 2008 Upper Deck Goudey.  I've been plugging away at this set since its release back in '08 and any time I can nab a needed short print I try to do so!  The Beckett card isn't the most valuable card in the set but it is a pesky short print so I was happy to be able to acquire it.

The last four cards are all from Gypsy Queen - three of which are from the 2013 White Framed parallel set.


The '13 parallel set is a set that I've toyed with simply eliminating from my want list a number of different times...and yet, here we are with me still acquiring new cards for the set! 

Finally, the last of the want list needs is a 2018 Gypsy Queen "Tarot of the Diamond" insert.


This is another set that I've made substantial progress collecting in the past few months...enough so that I think there's at least a 50% chance that I'll be able to finish it off prior to the end of the year.  Wouldn't that be amazing if I can actually finish all of the set builds that I think I can do this year?!

Like I said earlier, the purchase wasn't just for want list needs - I was also able to land six new Barry Larkin cards for my collection.


I'll show off each of the new Larkin cards as part of my ongoing Barry Larkin Collection series of posts, don't you fret about that!

My only other TCDB envelope of the week was from user engine614.  This one was a trade - and as you'll see, it was a fairly large trade!  You'll also notice I kept up my pattern of acquiring new Larkin cards as well as cards from my want list.

For this trade, I'll skip right to the best part - a whole slew of 2014 Topps Heritage short prints for my set.  


I've sworn off collecting any new editions of Topps Heritage until I finish up some of the many Heritage sets that I'm still working on.  Getting eight short prints in one fell swoop will certainly help me out with that particular goal!  Side note:  You don't want to know how many Mike Trout cards I had to trade away to get these short prints!

In addition to the Heritage cards, I was able to add three other needed cards into the trade pile.  


That Cliff Lee is also a short print - this was definitely one of the best trades I've done in quite some time in terms of acquiring new short print cards!

Finally, we end with some Barry Larkin cards including one oversized card!  


I thought that was going to be it for the week of TCDB trading but it turns out that one more small PWE arrived as I was writing this post.  It's from user Jquirp001 and it was a simple two-for-him, one-for-me swap (you know, the type of trade that I usually do on TCDB - this week notwithstanding)!  


That's yet another of the Tarot of the Diamond cards from the 2018 Gypsy Queen set.  I'm now within serious striking distance of knocking the entire 2018 GQ set off my want list once and for all.  Since this is a set that many of you probably bought at least a little of, here's what I still need in the off chance you can help me out!

2018 Topps Gypsy Queen Wants:
Base:  301, 303, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 312, 313, 314, 315, 318, 319
Tarot of the Diamond insert:  TOD- 1, 10

That's it for this week on TCDB.  Many fewer trades but this is definitely a week where "quality" trumped "quantity."  


Comments

  1. Great cards! I bought some vintage from NYMHall on TCDB and I was satisfied overall. A couple cards were creased but I guess I should have expected that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment