Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 808: 1989 Topps Stickers - #44 (Variation 05)

Barry Larkin
Year:  1989
Brand:  Topps Stickers
Variation:  05
Card number:  44


The fifth (out of a known 14) variation of the Topps Sticker set from 1989 features Barry Larkin on the "card" side of the sticker while Rick Sutcliffe and Rance Mulliniks grace the "sticker" side.  

As near as I can tell, Topps didn't put any effort into pairing the sticker side with the card side of things (sound familiar to modern Topps collectors?).  There's no reason that I can think of why Larkin should be paired with either of the two players here.  In fact, I don't even know why Rance and Rick share the same sticker side?!  I guess the idea was to keep things "random" and keep people buying pack after pack of stickers.  ...and you know what, here I am 30+ years later trying to collect every version of the card featuring Barry Larkin so I guess Topps' ploy worked!

Comments