Featured Post

Breaker's Club Recap: 2004 Donruss Classics - (In Which I Made a Mistake)

Today, I want to show off the highlights from one of our first boxes from Breaker's Club #3.  We actually ripped a box of 2005 Donruss Team Heroes first which is normally what I'd show off first on the blog but I have my reasons for starting with the 2004 Donruss Classics box instead - namely that I somehow made a big mistake during the box rip!  I'll get to that in a moment, but first, here's a quick look at the clean, classic design of the base cards.


Lots of gray there but the design holds up well despite being over 15 years old now.

Okay, before I go any further, let's get my error out of the way.  Each box of 2004 Donruss Classics contains two mini boxes.  Each mini box promises one relic or autograph "on average."  When I ripped the packs, we found one relic in the second mini box but we did not find a hit in the first.  I was quite vocal in saying how upset I was about that - especially for the cost of the box!  

Well...  Here's where I screwed up.  There WAS a hit in that first box - it just ended up "stuck" to the backside of a base card and I didn't catch it!  So, without further ado - here's the hit (and it's a nice one)!


That's Brandon Phillips (as an Indian) with an autograph/inscription.  The card is a red parallel and is numbered 43/70 on the back!  Congrats goes out to Marcus Scott who has the Indians in this break...and again, sorry to all that I somehow (?!) missed this during the box opening.  On the bright side, I feel a lot better about the box overall now.

While we are talking about hits, let's take a quick look at the hit from the other mini box as well:


That's a Rocco Baldelli relic bit numbered 087/100 on the back.  Hiflew picked up the Rays in this group break so congrats to him on landing one of the first hits of the break!

The two mini boxes combined to yield 5 gold parallels (each numbered out of 1999).  


In addition, we pulled three Legendary Lumberjacks cards.


Each of those are numbered out of 1000.

Next, we found two 500 Home Run Membership cards.


Each of those are numbered out of 2499.

And finally, we found one Timeless Triples card which is numbered out of only 500.


Now that I located our second promised hit, my overall opinion of the 2004 Donruss Classics box has gone up quite a bit.  The inserts, in particular, were quite nice and helped to keep most of the packs interesting to rip (ultimately all the gray in the base card design was a bit dull otherwise).  I'm not sure I'll be trying to buy another box of this stuff for future breaks but it was certainly fun to rip once!

Comments

  1. Glad it worked out! That timeless triples is a nice look. I definitely like the inserts from this set, but agree that the gray base is a bit dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate getting the hit, but am utterly confused by the design and theme of the card. What do random shapes and a washed out logo have to do with a "Dress Code" anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment