Featured Post

Fun with (Vintage) Flags!

Not all that long ago, I found a motherload of original 1887 Allen & Ginter Flags of All Nations cards that I needed for my set build.  In total, I was able to add 21 (!) new cards to my collection:


Look at those glorious original Ginter cards!  Oh sure, you can nitpick the condition (most are in quite poor shape) but I don't even care about that.  In fact, I kind of like the beat up look on super old cards, adds character I say!


The backs of the cards show even more wear - mostly glue stains from when the original owners glued the cards into their collecting books.  Honestly, my favorite card back might be the one with the big blue stamp on it.  From what I can read of the stamp, it says "Henry Winter" or something close to that.  The middle says S.W. Cor. 12th & Wallace Ste, not sure what the bottom says as it's too tough to read.  A quick Google search tells me that that particular address was an old address in Philadelphia (results, search "Wallace").  Pretty cool!

Overall, I now have 28 of the 58 different cards in the 1887 Allen & Ginter Flags of All Nations set.  Considering that I decided to start collecting this set earlier this year, I'm super pleased with my progress!  I should probably mention that the set does have a few short prints (which I'll probably never own as I assume when/if they ever go up for sale the prices will be astronomical) but you never know.  The fun is in the hunt, after all!

Comments

  1. Love the flags sets. Especially when they show flags that no longer exist. Am also intrigued at countries like Ireland which weren't independent at the time showing up in the set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me it seems like for a nearly 150 year old set it would be easier to find a lot like this than to just find a single. I would think that most of the surviving flag cards are part of someone's collection. The day's of finding a random one in someone selling their childhood collection are probably long gone. Although you never know I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful artwork. I'm amazed at how these cards have remained so bright and colorful considering their age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the lot, that was a big boost to your collection. In the future, a close-up of any stamps would be appreciated, and not just for me, a lot of collectors are interested in such things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great...fun with flags indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment