Featured Post

COMC Delivers! (Part 1 - A Post Five Months in the Making)

On January 17, 2021 I requested shipment of 60 cards from COMC.  I paid an additional $6.99 for "priority (not rushed)" shipping (their wording).  Exactly five months later, on June 17, 2021 I finally received my order...complete with a receipt in the box with a stated expected estimated delivery date of April 25, 2021.

Rather than dwell on the long wait time and shoddy customer service from COMC, let's instead keep things positive and take a look at the cards that I was able to (finally) track down for myself.  I've got a bunch of goodies to show off but it'll take me a few posts to get through everything!

For today, let's begin with the "weird" sized stuff.  For starters, I picked up two of the four missing Wonders of the World box toppers from the 2013 Allen & Ginter set.  

First up, the Itaipu Dam, one of the seven Modern Wonders.   


My other box topper also happened to be one of the seven Modern Wonders, this time it's the Channel Tunnel.


As I said, I'm still missing two more of the Wonders of the World box toppers (one Ancient Wonder and one Natural Wonder).  Here's my full want list for 2013 Allen & Ginter:

2013 Topps Allen & Ginter Wants:
Wonders of the World Cabinet Boxloaders
WOW-1 Great Pyramid of Giza
WOW-20 Paricutin Volcano
Minis:
Regular back minis:  38, 122, 177
A&G back minis:  77, 183, 215, 294
Black border minis:  38, 77, 103, 122, 169, 177, 215, 309, 310

Sticking with the box topper theme, let's go back one more year to 2012 where I was able to grab my final N43 box topper for that set!


With the 2012 N43 box topper set now complete, I am proud to report that this is the 24th completed set of mine in 2021!  It's not a surprise (to me) that Griffey was the final missing card, it seems like it's almost always him (or Mike Trout) that I need to finish a set these days!

We'll stick with the Allen & Ginter theme for just a moment longer, and in doing so let's go all the way back to 2007.


That's a Roman Emperor mini card - and not just any card but the final card that I needed for that particular set!  (so if you are counting along at home, that's set #25 completed this year!)

That also does it for all of the "weird" shaped cards.  Everything else I got in my COMC order is standard size (in terms of length and width though some of the cards I bought are much, much thicker than others).  

Obviously the long, long wait time from COMC was annoying (especially since they charged $7 shipping and called it "priority").  That being said, I'm ecstatic with the cards that I was able to land...and I've really only touched the tip of the iceberg so far!  I'll have plenty more goodies to show off in future posts - and yes, there are more sets yet to be completed!

Comments

  1. Congratulations on completing the 2012 N43 box topper set. The card size is weird... but I like it nonetheless. I also really like the 2013 Wonders of the World cabinet cards. I hope to add the Golden Gate Bridge card from that set to my collection one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that my projected August delivery will be pushed back a few months as well... sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment