Featured Post

The Non-Reds Frankenset: Cards #343 - 378

Group Break Spoils from Cardboard Collections

I host plenty of my own baseball card group breaks (visit my Facebook group break page for all the details) but that doesn't mean that I don't also join in other people's breaks...because I do!  One such breaker is Colbey over at Cardboard Collections.  

Like myself, Colbey does "stacking" which basically means that you can enter as many group breaks as you'd like and that he'll keep all of the cards until you request one lump shipping.  This saves everyone time and money and it's been great for my own group breaks as well.  

Anyhow, I recently received my stack of cards from Colbey from a variety of group breaks of his that I took part in.  Of course, my main goal with older sets is to acquire new Barry Larkin cards but sometimes I join in random breaks for no real (good) reason!  

Let's start off by looking at the main reason I join in most group breaks these days - to add to my Larkin Collection:


That's a nice batch of Larkin cards from a smattering of different sets.  Of course, I did already own most of them but that's a risk you take joining in a group break - I'm usually hoping to land a parallel, especially for late 90s sets for which I have most (but not all) of the regular Larkin base cards.

The Reds don't typically get much love in baseball card sets from about 1997 - 2007 or so...and that's the window where Colbey has most of his boxes.  Thus, I don't go into most breaks expecting much in the way of hits but I did do well with his box of 2004 Donruss World Series.


That's a George Foster parallel (# 20/50) and an Austin Kearns relic (# 18/28). 

That basically does it for my Reds goodies but as I mentioned at the outset of the post, I don't only claim the Reds in breaks.  Sometimes I branch out and grabbed other teams too!  One such example was when Colbey did a Pinnacle Mint break.  I ended up grabbing a few different teams and walked away with a number of neat cards...


...and coins!


The last card I need to show off is actually not a card from a break I joined...it was from a break I ended up sitting out of - and wouldn't you know it, that was the one break where a Barry Larkin parallel was pulled!


Luckily for me, Diego Torres had the Reds in that break and he gifted that Larkin card to me.  Awfully nice - and I'll be sure to try and find something he'd like in return!

Thanks for hosting the various group breaks, Colbey!  I know first-hand how much work they are - but I also know how much fun they can be!

Comments

  1. Barry had some beautiful dogs. Love the Gwynn Pinnacle Mint coin and card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment