Featured Post

It's Finals Monday (and also TCDB time)!

Some More Cards from the 1800s!

With today's post done, I'm finally all caught up on incoming mail!  I kind of saved the best for last though as today's envelope is actually an eBay purchase from back in April of this year.

This year, I decided to start collecting a pair of original Allen & Ginter sets - the 1887 Flags of All Nations set and the 1888 City Flags set.  This particular purchase helped out both set collections a bit - beginning with a single new (to me) card of Brazil for the 1887 set!


I'm not much of a stickler for condition on my super, super old cards.  In fact, in many ways the more creases and glue on a card makes it more charming...and if that's the case, then this Brazil card might be the most charming card I own - there's a huge wad of paper stuck to the back of it!

In the same purchase, I was able to knock a bunch of cards off of my 1888 City Flags set:


That's five more cards - and while they are creased and dinged up a bit, I still think they are absolutely gorgeous additions to my collection!  

Finally, the seller I got all of the above cards from had one more that I had to have when I saw it:


That's a Flags of All Nations (second series) card of Samos.  Now, I don't (currently) have any plans to collect this set but the island of Samos is one of my favorite places that I've ever visited.  If you don't know, Samos is (now) a Greek island situated about a mile off of the coast of Turkey.  I take my History of Mathematics class there each year we do a travel trip because it's the home to the great Pythagoras (there's a statue of Pythagoras in the harbor even)!  In addition, there's something called the Tunnel of Eupalinos which is a ancient feat of engineering that's definitely worth looking into.  
Sunrise on our morning in Samos, 2017


That does it for the eBay purchase - and with that, I'm all caught up on my mail days!  I still have a long ways to go for both of the original A&G sets but that's okay, I'm not in a rush.  That said, if you happen to have any of the flag cards - here's a link to my want list.  I'd love to work out a trade!

Comments

  1. Wow. Never heard of Samos... but it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'd care much for attending a yearly mathematics class, but could probably get a little more excited about it if I knew it were going to be held at such an interesting sounding place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cards! I'm fearful of holding one of those 1800's cards...I have an image of it disintegrate in my hands!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment