Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 826: 1990 Sportflics - #160

Barry Larkin
Year:  1990
Brand:  Sportflics
Card number:  160


When I was a kid, I thought that the few Sportflics cards that I owned were some of the coolest baseball cards ever.  Today, I don't hold the brand in quite the same high esteem but I do still find the cards "fun."  In fact, I like most lenticular cards, at least a little bit!

As for this card, to me it seems like it should have been an insert for the 1990 Score set!  The design screams '90 Score and even the back layout looks like something Score would have produced at the time.  Also, you have to love those purple borders - hello '90s!!

***Editor's Note***
So, after doing a bit of research on this card after writing the above blurb, it turns out that Optigraphics was a company that owned both Score and Sportflics...so in many ways this card is a Score design of the time!  I also learned that after the year 1990, Sportflics wouldn't exist again until 1994 when Pinnacle picked up the brand.

Comments

  1. I know most collectors identify 1989 Upper Deck or 1991 Stadium Club as the first premium baseball cards produced and distributed in packs... but I argue that 1986 Sportflics should receive the honor. Back then 3 card packs (+ 2 trivia cards) had a MSRP of 65¢... which breaks down to almost 22¢ per card. A pack of 1986 Topps had a MSRP of 35¢, but had 15 cards (less than 3¢ per card). Not sure of the MSRP of Donruss and Fleer packs back then... but even if they were 50¢ each... that's still less than 5¢ per card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment