Featured Post

Box Break Recap: 1994 Topps Stadium Club (Series 2)

It sure seems like I am able to open boxes faster than I'm able to write about them...probably because that's true!  Opening boxes can be done quickly but writing (and especially scanning/cropping) takes much, much longer!  That said, I'm trying my best to get all caught up on Breaker's Club box recaps so let's get right to it!

Today's box to recap is our box of 1994 Stadium Club (Series 2).  I've got a soft spot in my heart for 1994 Stadium Club so I was personally excited to have this box as part of the Breaker's Club.  Did we get anything in the box to make anyone else excited?  Let's find out!

First and foremost, Stadium Club was (and hopefully always will be) about the base cards.  The '94 set may not have the best photography in the brand's history but there were still a number of good looking base cards - here are a few of my personal favorites from the box:


There were also a lot of great horizontal shots - for example:


Like I said, you should really be buying Stadium Club for the images and the '94 set doesn't disappoint as a whole.  I ended up finding quite a few that I liked - so many, in fact, that narrowing them down enough to fit them on my scanner bed was kind of a challenge!

The '94 Stadium Club set features two parallel sets as well.  There is a Golden Rainbow parallel that comes one-per-pack and a 1st Day Issue parallel that comes one-per-box.  It was the Padres slot that lucked out into the 1st Day Issue box hit!


That's Craig Shipley and you can make out the 1st Day Issue stamp near the top of the card.  The 1st Day Issue cards are tough to track down these days so this is a nice little hit for San Diego!

As for the Golden Rainbow cards, we pulled our requisite 24 - including a Golden Rainbow checklist that will be randomized amongst all Breaker's Club participants (not including myself).


Inserted into some of the packs of '94 Stadium Club were 1 of 7 different "infocards."  I ended up learning something new about this set that I hadn't noticed before - the name plates on the card are color coded by divisional alignments of the time.  That's kind of neat - and I'm a little bit ashamed to say that I didn't know about that until I read that infocard!


The other infocard that I scanned talks about the "Dugout Dirt" cards which are basically short prints within the base set.  We pulled four - but unfortunately one was a duplicate within the box.  
Each of the Dugout Dirt cards has a cool comic drawing on the back of the card (I showed the back of the McDowell card since we pulled two of that particular short print).

Finally, the lone insert of the box - a 1994 Bowman Baseball Preview card (seeded 1:24 packs aka the second box hit):


Congratulations to the Phillies for landing the other box hit here!

Overall, I definitely enjoyed this box of Stadium Club.  It's kind of fun to have a set that focuses mostly on base cards...and have that set still feel fun to rip pack after pack.  Plenty of great photography coupled with just enough parallels to keep things fresh.  I approve - and hopefully all of you will enjoy your cards from this box once you get them in hand!

Comments

Post a Comment