Featured Post

Box Break Recap: 2002 Topps Ten

I'm back with another box break recap - this time a box of 2002 Topps Ten that I recently ripped as part of my ongoing Breaker's Club #4.

The box of Topps Ten contained 24 packs with 7 cards per pack.  The "gimmick" of this set is that it is full of ten card subsets - each featuring (not surprisingly) the top 10 players in MLB for that particular category.  


The silver foil number on the card stands for that particular player's rank for the given category.  As you can probably guess, plenty of players rank in multiple categories but in a nice touch, Topps used different photos for each of those cards!  Small things like that add up to make the set much nicer than I was expecting - that's for sure!

There aren't any inserts in the set to speak of but there are die-cut parallels.  


I decided to leave the parallels in the penny sleeves when I scanned them because those little notches on the side are giant pain to get the sleeves over.  

And finally, our box did produce two hits - one relic and one autograph.
A nice relic bit with a stripe of Mr. Billy Wagner.  Wagner was a pretty good closer for a long time but you don't often see relics of his in sets.  For that reason alone, I'd say this is a pretty cool pull.

As for the autograph:


My main question about Edmond's autograph is:  Did he sign the card upside down?  It sure looks like it to me!  Seriously, here's the same card upside down....you be the judge.


Finally, I do like to throw in some "bonus packs" during my group breaks whenever I can - and one of my recent bonus packs was a mystery pack of Upper Deck StarQuest cards from 2009.


We ended up pulling three Turquoise commons from our pack.  

I still have a couple more boxes to recap and then I'll be all caught up...well, that is until I rip some more of our Breaker's Club boxes!

Comments

  1. Doing some quick Googling, it does seem that Edmonds has other autos which look like that, although not all of them. Don't know what to make of it, but it's a good pull. Congrats to whoever had the Cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this set. Pretty cool. Edmonds auto is like one of those illusions, but I think it's pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Edmonds is an awesome pull. I don't think I've seen many of his autographs and his career is very underrated. I feel like that guy would always come up with a clutch hit when his team needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow never heard of this set. I like that it looks like they used fielding photos for the fielding leaders and baserunning photos for things like runs scored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like several others, I haven't heard of this set either. Thanks for showing off the cards!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment