Featured Post

Flashback Friday: 2020 Goodwin Champions

I ended up with a pair of packs of the 2020 Goodwin Champions set thanks to my A&G purchase over at Dave and Adams.  My understanding of the Goodwin Champions set is that it's full of subjects across all sports (and outside of sports).  I usually keep extra packs unopened for use as "bonus packs" for my various group breaks but I figured since Goodwin Champions isn't baseball focuses, these packs wouldn't make much sense to include in a future group break.  Therefore, they are all mine to open now as part of our (one year) Flashback Friday!

Before I start the first pack, I should note that I didn't rip any of the 2020 Goodwin Champions last year.  In fact, I don't even remember seeing any of the set last year - so all of these cards should be new to me!

Pack 1:


19.  Ken Jennings - TV Personality
48.  Miles Bridges - Basketball
72.  Stevie Wisz - Softball
81.  Vince Russo - Writer
Mini:  63.  Jhenny Andrade - Model

The mini cards are seeded 7:20 packs so I guess that's a nice pull for me out of my first pack.  Out of the five people in this pack, I've only heard of Ken Jennings before.  From what I can tell, Jhenny Andrade is best known for being a UFC ring lady...though the back of her card says she has over half a million Instragram followers.  I guess skimpy swimsuits garner more attention from people than say, food I cook.

Pack 2:


1.  Michael Jordan - Basketball
31.  Vince Russo - Writer
60.  Darius Garland - Basketball
70.  Ben Simmons - Basketball
Goudey:  G47.  R.J. Hampton - Basketball

A few things to note here.  First, that's my second Vince Russo card in two packs - but the two cards are different (different photographs, different card numbers, different write-up on the back).  Kind of weird, but okay Upper Deck.  Second, what's with all the basketball players?  Other than Jordan, I don't know any of those guys.  And finally, that Goudey insert is seeded 1:4 packs but again, it's a basketball player so who really cares?!

My overall thoughts on this set (based entirely on opening two packs) is that it is a "wannabe" Allen & Ginter clone.  There are some cool inserts (Aesop's Fables and Vintage Stamp relics) in the set but I don't think I'll be purposely buying any 2020 Goodwin Champions.  Oh yeah, if you want any of the above cards I've already listed them over on my TCDB trade bait page.

Comments

  1. Vince Russo is a longtime writer of professional wrestling shows. His reputation among professional wrestling fans is, um, not the best. When he was in charge of WCW, at one point he made himself the World Champion, and at another point made David Arquette the World Champion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment