Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 829: 1989 Donruss - #257 - variation 1

Barry Larkin
Year:  1989
Brand:  Donruss
Card number:  257 (variation 1)


Earlier this year, I learned that there were four different variations for 1989 Donruss base cards.  Basically, each card back has two choices:   Either there is or there isn't a period after "inc" on the copyright line and either there is or there isn't a second asterisks on the right hand side of the word "denotes" near the top of the statistics box.  The base cards come in all four flavors (period & single asterisks, period & double asterisks, no period & single asterisks, and no period & double asterisks).  The card you see above I've denoted as variation #1 and it's the period & single asterisks version.  

I'm a little curious what all of you think of variations like this?  Are they worth tracking down for player collectors?  On the one hand, a missing period or a missing asterisks does seem kind of dumb to worry about but then again, it does breathe new life into an old set like 1989 Donruss!  

Comments

  1. I don't see these as worth tracking down, personally. There are just so many very minor printing variations in many sets. Of course, if you're having trouble finding new cards for your PC, then it gives you something to look out for and it certainly wont cost much at all. I do like finding out new things about junk wax sets. Just when we thought we knew it all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a long time ago that I'll never know everything about baseball cards...not even the sets from my prime collecting years (1989 - 1999ish).

      Delete
  2. I hate that these are a thing, and I hate that I'm at the point where I need a magnifying glass to see them. Do I try for them for players I PC? Yes... yes I do. I don't hunt them for my team PC though (but I don't turn them away when they find me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you - but at least these are easy enough to find (and it can mean that that pile of 1989 Donruss duplicates might actually hold something useful after all - who knew after all these years?!)

      Delete
    2. I hate them... But I... Must... Get.. Them...

      Delete

Post a Comment