Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 830: 1996 SP - #9 - Special FX

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996 
Brand:  SP
Insert set:  Special FX (or Holoview FX)
Card number:  9


The Special FX (also apparently known as Holoview FX cards over on baseballcardpedia) came in two flavors - the "base" version which you see above and a die-cut version (where the cut follows the top of the holographic diamond).  

Looking at this particular Larkin card, two things immediately strike me.  First, the big hologram!  I always thought the Upper Deck holograms were cool and getting a big one on the front of the card is definitely a cool touch here.  On the other hand, this card has way too much gold foil on the front of the card!  It might not be obvious from the scan, but the design of the Special FX insert set can best be described as "gaudy beyond belief."  

I've mentioned this before but I never got into the SP brand when I was a kid.  Thus, it's been kind of fun retroactively adding Barry Larkin cards from the brand, I truly never quite know what I'm going to get until the card is in hand!  All that said, I think I'll stick with owning the Larkin and not try for the entire set here...one super gaudy card is enough from this particular brand.

Comments

  1. I love the Special FX and SP Holoview inserts of the mid 90's. Great looking cards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment