Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 835: 1990 Upper Deck - #167 - Error Version

Barry Larkin
Year:  1990
Brand:  Upper Deck
Card number:  167 (Error Version)


The 1990 Upper Deck set is (to me) the first of the good Upper Deck sets.  That's right, 1989 Upper Deck isn't good - the Griffey, Jr. rookie is the only reason that set lives on today if you ask me.  For my money, it's the 1990 set that cemented Upper Deck as a leader in the baseball card business at the time - the awesome photography coupled with vibrant colors on white card stock made for a high-end looking set (for the time).  The '90 set is even better since it features easy-to-read player names, bright (and large) team logos, and easy-to-read card numbers.  In fact, the only downside to this set is the vertical layout of the statistics (yuck)!

This card has already been featured in my ongoing Barry Larkin Collection...except it hasn't exactly since this is the "error version."  Basically, the only difference between this card and Larkin's regular base card is that this one is missing the copyright date line.  A stupid difference to be sure, but I'm collecting the various late 80s Donruss cards where the only difference is a missing period or missing asterisks, I might as well go for the Upper Deck error with the missing copyright date as well!

Comments

  1. I don't actively chase these variations for my player collections, but when I discover them on blogs I'll typically run to my dupes box and see if I have both variations. Congratulations on crossing another one off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those 80's variations can drive a person crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I recall as a kid, Upper Deck cards could be "erased on" with a common pencil eraser.. so really anyone could just erase the copyright line and then have this variation, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I hadn't heard that! I'm going to hope my copy is "authentic" and leave it at that, honestly, it's a stupid variation but as a player collector I decided a long time ago that I was probably leaving common sense at the door.

      Delete

Post a Comment