Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 843: 1990 Red Foley Stickers - #57

Barry Larkin
Year:  1990
Brand:  Red Foley Stickers
Card number:  57


I admit, I wasn't originally planning on adding random Barry Larkin stickers to my collection but TCDB classifies the Red Foley Stickers as a baseball card set and therefore, so shall I!  As for Red Foley Stickers in particular, I must say I had never heard of them prior to updating my Barry Larkin want list.  From what I gather, the Red Foley set was basically a sticker book with collectible stickers to place in the book (hence the plain sticker backing on the reverse of the "card").  

For more details about the Red Foley set, I found this over on SuperCollectorCatalog:
The Red Foley Stickers from 1987-93 are small, measuring 1 1/2" x 1 3/4" with a thin white border. They have a blank back and the only defining information is a sticker # in the lower right-hand corner. The backs of the stickers can be peeled off and put into a collectible sticker book. In 1994 and 1995, they changed to regular card size, 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" and used regular card stock. Collectors were expected to tape or glue the cards into the accompanying book. 1994 and 1995 are easily confused since they are not numbered. The two years can be differentiated by the combination of teammates or the color of the vertical bars in the card design. (The two exceptions are the Royals card showing Brian McRae/David Cone and the Dodgers with Piazza/Hershiser where the bar colors in both years are identical.) In 1996 they used a similar design and card stock from the 1994 and 1995 sets, but the cards were slightly smaller, measuring 2" x 2 3/4".
I was able to acquire a few of the Barry Larkin stickers in my recent purchase so this is certainly not the last of the Red Foley line that you'll see highlighted on my blog in the near (?) future!

Comments