Featured Post

Flashback Friday! Goodwin Champions (for the win?)

Happy Friday, everyone!  

Today, I'm dipping into the "way back bag" of packs and pulling out a 4-card pack of 2012 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions.  Most of my random packs I keep around for use as "bonus packs" for my various group breaks but since Goodwin Champions is mostly non-baseball, I figured it wouldn't make for a great bonus pack.  Thus, I get to rip it today for all of you on the blog!


As you can see from the pack wrapper, each pack contains only four cards but there is the chance of finding something super cool (autographs and memorabilia).  Will I find something like that?  Let's find out together!

7.  Chris Singleton
42.  Clint Dempsey
109.  John Kruk
188. Stan Lee


Well...  Not much cool there if I'm being honest.  I guess the Stan Lee card is probably a decent pull (I'm not into Marvel but I get the appeal of Mr. Lee in a product like this).  

Alright, so that pack was kind of dull...but I've got another pack sitting in my desk so let's rip that one too.

30.  Alan Bean
91.  Jonathan Huberdeau
147.  Y. E. Yang
187.  Billy Bitter


Uh.  Hmm, not sure that we improved any from the first pack.  In fact, arguable we got worse...  The Alan Bean astronaut card is probably my favorite out of this batch - but it's not a high bar.

I've got one more pack of this stuff and I might as well rip that one too and be done with it.

62.  Richard Petty
89.  Paul Coffey
113.  Steve Carlton
Mini:  226.  Nick Kingham


Okay, that mini was a surprise given that neither of the other two packs had one but again, not much to see here for me.  I believe that Upper Deck tried to make Goodwin Champions as a sort of answer to Topps' Allen & Ginter brand.  For me, the two sets aren't even comparable (especially around the year 2013 when Ginter was still fairly fresh and innovative).  This was fun to rip only because packs in general are fun to rip...I don't think I'll be purposely acquiring any more packs of this stuff!

All of the above cards are going up on my TCDB trade bait page - maybe someone out there will give them more love than I ever could.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone.

Comments

  1. If the card hadn't said Steve Carlton on the front, I would have never guessed who that was supposed to be...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment