Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 867: 1991 SCD Baseball Card Price Guide Monthly - #16

Barry Larkin
Year:  1991
Brand:  SCD Baseball Card Price Guide Monthly
Card number:  16


The 1991 SCD Baseball Card Price Guide Monthly was a 60-card set that (I believe) you could only find in SCD magazines at the time.   The Reds had two representatives in the set (Larkin, shown above, and Chris Sabo who was card #23).  

As for this particular Larkin card, the front is obviously inspired by the 1971 Topps set...and here you could probably replace "inspired" with the phrase "direct copy" if you so desired.  The card backs, on the other hand, are unique to this set - basically a mini "price guide" for the player in question.  I have to admit, I kind of question Larkin's pricing on the back - I don't know that any of Larkin's 1987 cards were ever worth $10...certainly not his '87 Fleer card!  On the hand, twenty cents for a 1990 Topps or a 1989 Score card seems much closer to correct!  (oh, one more thing, Larkin did appear in the 1986 Sportflics set so I'd even quibble with the line that says his first year in a card set was the following year, 1987)

All things told, this is a nice little oddball and a fun reminder of the time when baseball card price guides were all the rage.  I certainly remember buying Beckett once in awhile (but more often I'd buy Tuff Stuff since it was both cheaper and seemed to list more cards in the price guide portion of the magazine).  

Comments

  1. There was a time when 1987 Fleer was king. Not gonna guarantee that Larkin's rookie was selling for $10 or not... but it wouldn't surprise me if it reached that price at some point in the mid 90's after he won his MVP award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I haven't known about them for very long, I absolutely adore the SCD cards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment