Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 877: 1992 Baseball Cards presents Beginner's Guide to Card Collecting Repli-cards - #3

Barry Larkin
Year:  1992
Brand: Baseball Cards presents Beginner's Guide to Card Collecting Repli-cards
Card number:  3


The 1992 Baseball Cards presents Beginner's Guide to Card Collecting Replicards may be one of the longest set names that I've ever seen on TCDB (which is where I found out about the existence of this particular Barry Larkin card).  In fact, the set is only five cards big - and take a gander at this oddball of a checklist:
#1 Ryne Sandberg
#2 Phil Plantier
#3 Barry Larkin
#4 Cecil Fielder
#5 Dave Justice

That's quite the random collection of players - no idea how they were decided to be the five to sell the magazine (at least, I assume that the cards were part of a magazine promotion).  I couldn't find out much more about this particular set.  It does appear that the cards are complete rip-offs of the 1972 Topps design without any particular credit given to the Topps company (kind of a strange thing to do considering this is supposed to be a beginner's guide to baseball cards and it's basically a bootleg card on its own).

While many probably would ignore this little set, I find it kind of neat as far as oddballs go - and thanks to me trying to collect one of every Barry Larkin card out there, I'm super happy to have this one tucked away in my collection now!

Comments

  1. I love oddball sets like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I am hearing Mike Myers and Dana Carvey screaming EXTREME CLOSE UP!! WHOAAAA!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment