Featured Post

My Man Cave Flooded...

Hello dear readers.  A quick update as to why there's no new MLB countdown post today (and perhaps for a few days)...my basement (aka my "man cave") flooded on Friday morning.  It seems we had a pipe freeze over the winter and on Friday we had some people at our house to do some power washing.  Well, they turned the spigot on and washed the house for about 45 minutes...all the while, water was gushing out of the same pipe and forming a true waterfall directly into the basement.

By the time I found out about it, water had been going for about 45 minutes and there was about 1.5 inches of water in half the basement (we have a finished basement with carpeting so the carpet sucked up a lot of water first).

While that was all terrible, things could have been so much worse.  We'll definitely have to replace some furniture and I lost my laptop (that was sitting on the floor and ended up in the deepest water).  I lost a lot of my packing supplies (cardboard boxes, etc.) that I use for group breaks and trade mailings but otherwise most of my baseball card collection was spared (the vast majority of my cards were sitting on bookshelves, luckily)!  The one bad thing card-wise is that my Barry Larkin Collection binders were all on the floor as I was adding to them the night before.  Luckily, all three were standing upright - and I think the 9-pocket pages kept the cards safe even though the binders themselves got quite wet.  I'm sure I'll find some more damage once I am able to start moving stuff back into the main part of the basement (we have an unfinished storage room in the basement that stayed mostly dry so I spent Friday morning running as much stuff as I could grab and moving it into that room - plenty of stuff that was soaking wet at the time).  I've found a few cards here and there that got warped by the water but so far nothing major (besides the Larkin cards).

Over the next week, we've got carpet cleaners coming, insurance people, and a plumber so I have no idea when I'll be able to get my man cave back in order...  Whenever I can get back to cards and posting, I will resume my MLB countdown (the post you saw yesterday was written before the flood)!  

Until then, feel free to hit me up on Twitter (@Nachos_Grande) because that goes to my phone.  Otherwise, I'll be back as soon as I can.

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear this. I really hope those pages protected your Larkin collection. Good thing the binders weren't laying flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man. So sorry to hear this terrible news. Totally understand taking some time away and taking care of business. Hopefully the cleanup goes smoothly and the Larkin collection is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oof. Feel for you big-time. Hope the card damage is minimal. ... I've gotten all my cards out of the basement just for this reason. We have never gotten flooding in the basement enough to effect any cards down there but there has always been that what-if question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! That is one of my greatest fears and a reason I don't keep cards in the basement. That happened to me when I was younger and many cards were damaged and had to be tossed. My suggestion - don't wait, rip that carpeting out now! Then get a wet vac to suck up any standing water. Also get (or rent) a couple of floor fans to get everything dried out. Let those things run 24/7 until dry. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks, Chris! Best of luck getting everything cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brutal. I lost a lot of stuff (not my baseball cards, but my record collection among them) to a flood 20-some years ago. Hope all your cards are OK. Happy that it appears no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the damage is as minimal as can be and that you're back up and running as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope for the best Chris. Floods are definitely sucky. Most of my childhood cards and other toys that would be probably worth quite a bit today were lost in a flood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that! Hopefully things won't be as bad as they first appeared

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why I would never keep anything of importance in a basement. Thank goodness those binders were standing up. I don't envy the cleanup, but it sounds like it could've been considerably worse, so at least that's something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, Chris, I hope that all works out and you don't find that you lost anything else significant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear this. I hope the damage ends up being minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, that's rough. But like you said, it could have been so much worse. And I hope it doesn't get any worse. Don't worry about the countdown--you've got more important things on your plate. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah man, really sorry that happened. Best of luck with the repairs and I hope the cards are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Damn. We had major flooding las summer and basically unfinished our basemen as a result. Not fun and I hope you don't lose much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment