Featured Post

The Decider: Non-Reds Frankenset - Cards #180 - 189

Welcome to another edition of "The Decider."  This is an ongoing series where I go through my reserved cards for consideration into my Frankenset, specifically for today, my non-Reds Frankenset (I also have a Reds Frankenset and a Minis-only Frankenset if you were wondering).

For today, we are going to look at cards numbered between 180 and 189.  The basic goal here is to get the "best" card for each number where "best" could mean best design, best player, best photograph, etc.  Essentially, it's all subjective but the goal is to make the coolest possible set that I can!

Here we go, beginning with card #180:

180.


With eight cards to consider, we are left with a difficult choice right off the bat!  I actually like the Bowman Chrome card of McCutchen quite a bit (which is saying something since I usually ignore all things Bowman) and I also really like that Cameron Maybin rookie card from the Topps '52 set.  That all being said, my final choice has to be the Stadium Club Carlton Fisk card - everything about the card is what I like in my Frankenset - good player, interesting shot, plus the throwback White Sox hat and you've got a great candidate for slot #180.

181.


The choices for slot #181 were much weaker - so much so that this relatively blah Kevin Young card takes the cake easily and becomes the next card added to the binder.

182.


Here we only have two options but I think the choice is kind of easy - as nice as an empty stadium on a card can be (and I mean that, I love it for rookie cards like the Buckner) I think I have to take the Glavine card where he's putting on (taking off?) his batting helmet during batting practice.  Such a fun, unique shot and another perfect addition to the Frankenset.

183.


I definitely like the Reboulet card better but by and large, I've been trying to avoid including too many horizontal cards.  In addition, I'm beginning to think about trying to build the 1994 Stadium Club set in its entirety - and if I were to do that then I'd have to go back through my Frankensets and remove all 1994 Stadium Club cards from them.  Seems like the prudent choice then is to go with Randy Johnson (and at least it's a pitching batting card - something that will be basically unheard of beginning with 2022 baseball card sets)!

184.


Another number with a set that I may end up building someday in that Metal Universe card.  The Montgomery card is so iconic that even the tiger chasing a Detroit Tiger can't win here - congrats Jeff!

185.


A super boring batch of cards to consider here as evidenced by the choice I made - a rather dour Gagne.

186.


Plenty of good options here - the Mesa is fantastic, the Camille Pissarro makes me smile, and that shiny "hot box" Ginter rookie of Josh Bell is nothing to sneeze at.  That all being said, I went with the Eric Karros (with cameo by Albert Pujols).

187.


Another number with almost no options to consider - Valentin wins this slot easily.

188.


If I hadn't just picked the Gagne from the same set, Dmitri would have been my choice.  However, I try to keep the Frankenset mixed up in terms of included sets so instead I'm going to pick the Roy Halladay card from the Bowman Heritage set (a set that I was going to build for myself at one point in time but ended up giving up on).

189.


Finally, we end with a choice between a vertically-oriented Bartolo Colon (featuring flags) and a horizontally-oriented Chrome of some guy I've never heard of.  Despite my apprehension about including too many horizontal cards, I can't deny the greatness that is that Stadium Club Chrome card...so in it goes to my set in slot #189!

As always, I love to hear what you would have chosen (or if you agree with all of my selections)!  Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!

Comments

  1. I think you need a horizontal Frankenset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got them all except for Karros (went with Mesa) and Halladay (went with Everett).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that the Glavine shows him as a Brave but lists him as a Met. Feels like an OPC thing, but on a very Fleer design.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment