Featured Post

A TCDB Mailbag on One of the Best Mondays of the Year!

Barry Larkin Collection 896: 1992 Topps Magazine - #81

Barry Larkin
Year:  1992
Brand:  Topps Magazine
Card number:  81


I'm probably in the minority here but I don't actually like magazine cards all that much.  I think it is the perforated edges that bother me the most - maybe I have a bit of OCD in me (actually, don't all collectors have some level of OCD in them)?!  Anyhow, as I was saying, in general magazine cards don't much appeal to me though I do still consider them valid targets for my Barry Larkin Collection (and thus why you see the 1992 Topps Magazine card above).

As for the card itself, you can see the slightly ripped corners from where someone (not me) rather carelessly extricated the card from it's glossy page confines.   That, combined with the perforations makes this card look sloppy (and the crease doesn't help either)!

In terms of the design, the rainbow palette used is certainly reminiscent of the 90s era - I kind of dig it in conjunction with the all-black background (and large team logo).  The back of the card packs a surprising amount of text on it...way more than I would have expected from a magazine card!  Truthfully, for as much as I hate punching/ripping out cards, the 1992 Topps Magazine set design is actually quite good overall...kudos to Topps for that (and a fun addition to my Larkin collection, even if the card itself is rather beat-up)!

Comments

  1. I don't like magazine cards because they are often distributed in a "panel" of multiple cards, leading to "panel" variations where the cards haven't been separated from one another. The OCD in me needs those variations for my player collections. And I hate collecting variations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started a new project involving these Topps Magazine cards. A few years ago, I built a set of 16 magazines with cards intact. Recently I purchased 14 of the 16 magazines again. The magazines weren't in very good condition, so they were cheap. The good news is the sheets were fine. Now I'm on the hunt for the last 4 sheets (each magazine had 2 sheets of cards). Maybe eventually I'll find a third set and carefully break them apart. Yup. I'm that crazy collector who would actually want three versions of the same exact set.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment