Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 903: 1993 Bicycle Reds - Ace of Hearts

Barry Larkin
Year:  1993
Brand:  Bicycle Cincinnati Reds Playing Cards
Card number:  Ace of Hearts


In 1993, Bicycle released a deck of Cincinnati Reds playing cards consisting of (you guessed it) various Reds players on each card.  Barry ended up on two different cards in the set (the one you see above plus another one that I'll be showing off soon in a future Barry Larkin Collection post).  

As for the playing card itself, I do like the back quite a bit with the large team logo and I also like the front (Larkin is certainly "worthy" of the prestigious Ace of Hearts designation in the deck)!  The batting pose isn't the most exciting image of Larkin that I've ever seen but I guess it works well enough for what we have here.  

While I was writing this post, I couldn't help but be a bit curious.  Do fellow player collectors consider cards such as playing cards as proper "baseball cards" for one's collection?  I don't actively collect Larkin figurines and I've mostly stopped going after oversized cards as well...but for some reason playing cards seem like something worth adding to the collection.  Maybe it's the fact that playing cards are usually just about the same size as regular baseball cards?  I'm curious how all of you deal with oddball stuff like this with your personal player collections.

Comments

  1. I'll guess that I'm in the minority, but I like some of the playing cards. Have owned a few decks of the US Playing cards over the years but have traded most away except for my players.

    Speaking of which, anyone want some to trade for some Boston Red Sox Uno cards? Bought a few sets for specific players. Happy to trade the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment