Featured Post

The Perils of Collecting Topps Heritage!

Today's post is nothing but a cautionary tale for those who might be considering collecting Topps Heritage sets.  Beware the short prints.

Seriously.  I love the Heritage brand a lot but I've all but given up on trying to collect any more versions of the set based on the sheer number of short prints in each set (and the difficulty in obtaining said short prints after the set's release).  

As a perfect case in point, here's a recent eBay purchase that I made (without any joy whatsoever):


That's a Derek Jeter All-Star card from the 2009 Heritage set...and yes, it's a short print.  This stupid card set me back over $20...and it's not even the final card that I need for my set.  The only good thing is that the remaining cards aren't nearly as expensive - but they also have been incredibly elusive to track down.

2009 Topps Heritage (Low and High Series) Wants:
Base:  
446.  Pedro Martinez
459.  Cincinnati Reds Coaches
483.  Dustin Pedroia
698.  Gary Sheffield
Rookie Performers:  
RP-03.  Andrew McCutchen
RP-10.  Jordan Zimmerman
RP-15.  David Price

Ugh, don't even get me started on Heritage insert sets!

If/when I am able to track down the final seven cards from the 2009 Heritage set, I'll probably be done collecting Heritage forever.  Maybe if I'm still collecting cards whenever the Heritage sets based on my youth come out...then maybe it'll be a long enough time that I might go for one of those set.  But for now, I'm going to try and stay firmly away from Heritage moving forward!




Comments

  1. Amen brother. After finishing the '08 Heritage set, I'm done. I don't think even the arrival of the '75 design is going to get me to complete another Heritage set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I moved on from Heritage as well. It went from something simple to something stupid. Besides, for the prices the SPs are going for one can get legit vintage instead. I'd rather put my money towards filling out my 60s sets than on one "honoring" those years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get back to collecting the 2020 set. Love the '71 Topps design.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment