Featured Post

TCDB: Can I Ever Get Rid of 18,384 cards?!

Cardboard (and paper?) from TCDB!

Another week begins, another TCDB wrap-up for you to enjoy.  This time around, I managed to complete two more small PWE trades.

We'll begin with an envelope from user Cooter Lev:

Those two Larkin cards may not look like anything overly special but in reality they are actually both "sample" cards from various card magazines.  I debated about whether or not to even include the "sample" cards on my Larkin want list but eventually decided to put them on.  It's awesome to find someone to trade with who happened to have more than one Larkin card that I needed - and the fact that both are rather hard-to-find "sample" cards is even better!

My other trade of the past week was with user d7lane:
That card might look like nothing special (notice a theme today?) but it's actually a 1990 Topps Doubleheader "card."  I say "card" in quotation marks because it's actually nothing more than a piece of shiny paper with printing on each side.  There's no actual card here at all.  Flimsy.  So flimsy, in fact, that I had to search online to make sure what I had in hand was actually real (though making a fake Topps Doubleheader card wouldn't be difficult so who knows for sure)!

That does it for the past week on TCDB.  All things considered, any time I have a week where I can acquire multiple new Larkin cards for my collection I have to be pleased!  

Have a good week, everyone!

Comments

  1. I love the site for bringing collectors together and helping each other round our their collections without having to resort to $$$...after all, they are called trading cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'll have to go look up the 1990 Double headers now, as I know for a fact that I've never heard anyone mention those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe those Doubleheaders originally came encased in a little plastic stand (I've got the Ozzie Smith), which is probably why Topps didn't bother printing it on legit cardstock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This. The plastic stand was a big part of the product and you had to bus it to get the paper out.

      Delete
  4. It's a great article and I learn a lot from this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment