Featured Post

The Rest of the 1888 Cards I Picked Up.

About a week or so ago, I showed off the first half of a large lot of original 1888 Allen & Ginter City Flag cards that I picked up.  Well, things got away from me a bit but I'm finally ready to show off the second half of that purchase!

We'll begin with three cities that start with the letter N:  Naples, New Orleans, and New York.


Of these three cities, I've been to two of them but there's a good chance you'd guess which two incorrectly.  The correct answer is Naples and New York - but never New Orleans (though someday I would like to visit New Orleans).  Of the three cards, I have to hand it to the Naples card - anytime you get Mt. Vesuvius on a card you've got something neat!

Sticking alphabetically, next up are two "P" cities in Paris and Philadelphia.


I live in Pennsylvania so Philly is a rather easy city for me to get to (still about a 4 hour drive for me).  Paris is a city I've never been to (in fact, I've never been anywhere in France).  Interesting bit about the Paris card, you'll notice the picture does not feature the Eiffel Tower.  That's (probably) because the Eiffel Tower was in the process of being built for the 1889 World's Fair in Paris.  Back at the time of the tower's completion, a lot of Parisians were unhappy with the structure but over time the Eiffel Tower has become arguably one of the preeminent city symbols in the world!

Three "S" cities are up next:  San Francisco, St. Louis, and Strasburg.


Of the three, I've only been to San Francisco (love the shot of the bay on that card)!  I assume that the Strasburg featured here is the one in France (Strasbourg to us) but I could easily be incorrect about that.  I couldn't make out what exactly the picture was showing on the card and I didn't have any luck finding the city flag online either!  

We'll end this tour of cities of the 1800s with the final three cards:  Trieste, Valparaiso, and Washington.


Once again, I'm only able to say that I've visited one city from this batch (Washington, DC).  That being said, I love the harbor image on Valpariaso - so much so that it kind of makes me want to visit Chile to visit the harbor myself!  

That was a fun romp through the "olden times" with this batch of Allen & Ginter goodies.  At this point, here's what I'm still looking for out of the set:

Allen & Ginter City Flags (N6) Wants:
Algiers
Amsterdam
Bremen
Catalonia
Genoa
Hamburg
Leghorn
Modena
New Guatemala
Nice
Rotterdam
Rouen
Saint-Etienne
Toulouse
Versaille

I need to go through all my cards now as I know I did acquire a fair number of duplicates in this lot.  Most of the card backs are in rough shape (hence why I didn't bother showing them) but as I've said before, I kind of prefer my super vintage stuff to have character!

Comments

  1. A very real chance that the San Francisco card depicts the pre-bridge Golden Gate…

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how bad some of these cities have gotten. I would imagine that a lot of the current residents wished that their cities still looked like they were depicted on these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment