Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 924: 1990 Topps Doubleheaders

Barry Larkin
Year:  1990
Brand:  Topps Doubleheaders
Card number:  none


I knew nothing about the 1990 Topps Doubleheaders set until I was able to acquire the card you see above in a recent TCDB trade.  Now that I have the card in hand, I can assure you that this is a set best left forgotten!  The "card" if you can call it that is really nothing more than a piece of paper that's been printed on both sides (and then cut, but not even particularly well).  The set's gimmick was that each of the "cards" came encased in a plastic stand - obviously the production money went towards the plastic rather than the card stock.  I can only imagine someone's disappointment the first time they broke open one of those plastic stands only to be greeted with a crappy piece of paper fluttering out.

As for the Larkin card itself, there's not much to report here.  One side features Larkin's 1990 Topps card while the other has (yet another) reprint of his 1987 Topps card.  I'm happy to have this card in my collection because it was a Larkin I didn't have until now, but honestly, this set seems like one of the worst sets of all-time.  Tons of plastic waste, crappy cards, and no imagination.  You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a 2022 release instead of a 1990 release!

Comments

  1. The 1989 version of these was interesting since they dropped the wood border on the 1987 guys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment