Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 925: 1990 Star Barry Larkin & Bo Jackson - #2

Barry Larkin
Year:  1990
Brand:  Star Barry Larkin & Bo Jackson
Card number:  2


In 1990, the Star company produced a bunch of sets that highlighted specific players on multiple cards.  I've already shown off most of the 1990 Star cards involving Larkin...but did you know that Star also featured Barry Larkin in a small, standalone set where they paired Larkin with Bo Jackson?  

Yeah, it's weird and I can't explain why Star did that - but here we are!  The 1990 Star Barry Larkin & Bo Jackson set contains only 11 cards - five each for Barry and Bo plus a checklist card that features both players.  It's definitely an odd pairing that makes no sense no matter how I look at it (and the two players don't actually share any cards besides the checklist).  

Larkin has the even numbers in the set - so basically cards #2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 (plus the checklist).  At the time of this posting, I own all five of Larkin's base cards but I don't have the checklist yet.  In addition, there's also a rarer "glossy" parallel set (I don't own any of the glossy cards yet).

I'll have more from this set in future posts but it's worth mentioning here that this card is the most "classic baseball card" out of the five.  By that, I mean that this card features full career stats on the back along with a short "how acquired" write-up.  Future Larkin cards from this set will feature different aspects of Barry's career up through 1990, certainly a cool retrospective for a Larkin collector if nothing else!

Comments