Featured Post

The Quest for 35!

Capturing Another Original 1887 Card from my Want List!

My constant quest to complete sets continues with today's mail day courtesy of an eBay auction I won recently.  We are heading all the way back to the 1800s once again as I continue to try and build some original Allen & Ginter sets (which is kind of my only choice since Topps keeps delaying it's modern incarnation of the Allen & Ginter set).

Anyhow, I was able to nab my 47th (out of 58 total) card from the 1887 Allen & Ginter Flags of All Nations set.


That's the country flag of Cuba - and while it's not a rare card as far as I know, the card had proven to be fairly elusive for me up until recently!  

As I said, I'm now at 47/58 total cards with only the following cards remaining to be captured:

Allen & Ginter Flags of All Nations (N9) Wants:
  • Austria (var:  plain background)
  • Austria (var:  "common fancy" printed background)
  • Belgium (var: "common fancy" printed background) SP
  • France (var: plain background)
  • Holland (var:  plain background)
  • Japan (var: plain background)
  • Papal Standard (var: Papal Standard title)
  • Roumania SP
  • United States
  • Uruguay
Note:  I'm not concerning myself with the various nameplate variations (on the front or back), I'm only chasing after the various image variations - I gotta draw the proverbial line somewhere, after all!

I'm absolutely loving trying to build some of these super old Allen & Ginter sets - and I can't believe how great the cards look all these years later - such quality printing that it's held up after over a century of sitting around (probably in attics or basements for much of that time).  I kind of doubt today's cards (I'm looking at you, Chrome) will hold up that well for the next 100 years!


Comments

  1. The colors really are nice! I'd bet the cards would look great in a binder, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're getting closer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment