Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 927: 1990 Star Barry Larkin & Bo Jackson - #6

Barry Larkin
Year:  1990
Brand:  Star Barry Larkin & Bo Jackson
Card number:  6


I'm back with the next card in the 1990 Star Barry Larkin & Bo Jackson set.  Today's entry highlights the National Silver Slugger Award winners from 1989 (of which Larkin won for the shortstop position).  The Reds actually had two Silver Slugger winners in '89 (Eric Davis being the other).  Looking through the rest of the list, it's mostly the "usual suspects" like Will Clark, Tony Gwynn, etc. but I wouldn't have come up with Howard Johnson for 3B nor would I have ever come up with Don Robinson as the winner for the pitcher position!

As for the actual card, Star once again went with a rather unusual photograph.  Unlike the last card from the set (in which the cropping of the photo kind of ruined it for me), I actually love this photo.  You get a great view of the benches behind Larkin and he's making an over-the-shoulder grab.  Sure, you might have expected a card about Silver Slugger winners to feature Larkin, you know, slugging but whatever.  It's a unique image that I haven't seen before so in my eyes this particular card is a winner!

Comments