Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 940: 1993 Metz Baking

Barry Larkin
Year:  1993
Brand:  Metz Baking
Card number:  none


The 1993 Metz Baking set is a large set for an "oddball" release clocking in with a 40-card checklist.  The first twenty cards in the set have a blue background while the back half of the set have the yellow background that you see above.  Each card has an image of the player done with a hand-drawn aesthetic to go alongside a simple frame.  The entire card design reminds me of those old school notebooks with lined paper...  The cards themselves must have been released in single card packs, at least that's how my copy arrived in the cellophane wrapper (I couldn't bring myself to free the card from it's plastic prison, at least not yet)!

Overall, it's an interesting "oddball" set but I can't say that I love the overall look of the card front.  I do like the card backs though since you get full career statistics (something I always appreciate as a math-minded person).  For me, the year 1993 is one of the last years of the "golden age" of oddball releases so if nothing else this card is a great celebration of all the weirdness that comes from a wide variety of oddball sets from the mid-80s through the mid-90s!

Comments