Featured Post

Board Game Friday: My Top 10 Games on my Shelf of Shame!

One of the best parts about having my entire board game collection logged over on boardgamegeek (see my profile here) is that I can get a lot of information at a quick glance.  As a math guy, I love having a deeper dive into my statistics, especially when it comes to games player (how many, when, etc.).  I also find the extra data helpful when I'm trying to decide on what game to play next.  For example, according to the data I have over 100 (!) games that I haven't yet played.  Now, truth be told, that number isn't anywhere near correct because I only started logging played games in earnest around this time last year.  In reality, the number of unplayed games that I own is probably closer to 20 or 30, still a huge number but not nearly 100!

Games remain unplayed for a variety of reasons - some are games that I've purchased strictly with the idea of playing them with my extended family over the upcoming holiday season, others are games that recently arrived via Kickstarter, and a bunch are simply games that I haven't gotten around to for one reason or another.  

All that being said, as a guy who likes lists, I thought it'd be fun (and hopefully constructive) to create a list of my Top 10 unplayed games on my Shelf of Shame as boardgamers often call the unplayed stack of games.  All of the games on my list are games that are truly unplayed by me - and hopefully when/if I ever do this list again, I'll be able to say that I've finally gotten around to playing all of the games on this particular list prior to making my next list!

Without further ado, here are my Top 10 Games on my Shelf of Shame:



#10:  Disney Villainous

I got Disney Villainous in a board game trade and I'm not entirely sure why I decided to trade for the game.  I guess, in part, it's because Villainous is seemingly a popular line of games and I've never tried the brand.  However, I'm not a huge Disney guy so I kind of think I'll bounce off of Disney Villainous.  All that said, I won't know for sure until I try the game (and if it ends up being a game I don't care for, I'll happily trade it away as I don't need games I don't love taking up valuable space on my board game shelf)!

#9:  The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – The Adventure Game

I bought this game because I love the video game Skyrim.  Unfortunately, this is a big box solo game and I don't have the time (or the space) to set-up something this big and complicated for solo play right now.  I definitely think I'll enjoy the game whenever I get around to learning and playing it, but honestly, of the ten games on this list I'd say The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Adventure Game is the one that's most likely to show up again on a future "Top 10 Games on my Shelf of Shame."  Not because I don't want to play (I really do want to), but more because of the reality of the situation of my life right now!

#8:  Food Chain Magnate

Food Chain Magnate is probably one of the heaviest games I own in terms of playing weight.  As it stands, I don't really have anyone in my play group that is into heavy games like this, at least not heavy competitive games.  Throw in the fact that Food Chain Magnate is known to be super punishing, and honestly, I don't know when I'll ever get the chance to try this one out.  I've considered selling my copy a number of times but the game keeps calling out to me so on the shelf it continues to sit.

#7:  Apex Theropod Deck Building Game: Collected Edition 

Another game that is probably (?) best played solo, Apex is a deck building game all about dinosaurs.  If you know me, you know that's the sweet spot as I love both deck building games and big, chomping dinosaurs!  I almost got this game out a few weeks ago to sit down and learn the rules.  Almost, but not quite.  

#6:  Clank!: Catacombs

Another deck builder, this time with a heavy dose of dungeon crawling involved.  I've never played any of the Clank! games but they seem to be quite popular.  I do think I might be able to convince some friends and/or family to give this one a go as I don't think it's as hard to learn and play as some games I own!

#5:  Great Western Trail: Second Edition

This game lives in boardgamegeek's Top 100 games of all-time so it is definitely a game that I ought to play at some point.  I actually picked this game out for my birthday last year...and now it's been about a week shy of a full year since I've owned it without actually playing it.  

#4:  Raccoon Tycoon

Raccoon Tycoon is a set collection, economic game with amusing pictures of animals in Victorian garb.  I haven't yet opened up my copy of this game so I admit to not knowing all of the details.  That being said, boardgamegeek says this one has a weight of only 2.14 which means I might be able to convince some of my family members to play this one with me over the holidays.

#3:  Endless Winter: Paleoamericans

Another game on the heavier side of my collection, Endless Winter: Paleoamericans looks like a super fun game.  However, the sheer number of rules and systems within the game whittles down my available player base drastically.  In making this list, it's quickly becoming apparent that I might need to make some new board game friends!

#2:  Paleo

Not to be confused with the game #3 on my list, Paleo is a bit lighter and is a cooperative game rather than a competitive game.  As I said earlier, cooperative games are easier for me to get to the table so I'd say there is a very good chance that I'll get a chance to play Paleo within the next couple of months.  That's good, because I'm super excited to give this one a spin!

#1:  Unmatched: Battle of Legends, Volume Two

I'm a huge fan of the Unmatched series of games and I've greatly enjoyed almost every game box that I own.  That being said, I haven't yet gotten around to trying out the characters in Battle of Legends:  Volume 2 but again, it's something that I hope to do in the near future!  Of all the games on this list, Unmatched is the one game that I already know how to play and have plenty of people that enjoy playing it with me so if there's one game that's most likely to get played before 2023 is over, it's another box of Unmatched characters!

And there you have it, my Top 10 Games on my Shelf of Shame.  I'd love to say that I'll get all 10 games played before the year is over but honestly, if I even get two or three of these games played by then I'll consider this writing exercise a success!

What about you?  Do you have any games on your shelf of shame?  I'd love to hear about them!

Comments

  1. I'd love to hear any recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was young, I bought Stratomatic games for multiple sports and never played them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own one Stratomatic game but I don't think I'll ever play it. The payoff doesn't seem to be worth it to me when you factor in how long it takes to learn and play.

      Delete
  3. Whoa. Your Shelf of Shame is pretty impressive. I think the only unopened board games I have laying around are various Monopoly games I've picked up at the flea market over the years. Let's see... I have the following: Wizard of Oz, Star Trek, Chicago White Sox, and Stranger Things (Christmas present from a student a few years ago).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have plenty of games on my "Shelf of Shame", mainly because I bought them on clearance at Target or at Goodwill with the intent of playing them with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be dangerous if I lived closer to a decent board game store with sales (i.e. Target)! Probably a good thing the nearest Target is about 45 mins. away!

      Delete

Post a Comment