Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 1002: 1995 Skybox E-Motion - #117

Barry Larkin
Year:  1995
Brand:  Skybox E-Motion
Card number:  117


I know a lot of people seem to have a fond spot in their heart for the 1995 Skybox E-Motion set but I must admit that I'm not one of those people!  I like the front of Larkin's card quite a bit but it's the back design that bothers me (for many reasons).  First, I think the statistics are difficult to read.  Second, I hate the sideways card number.  Third, the bit of text floating between Larkin's two heads feels out of place.  And, if that weren't enough, Fleer chose a couple of fairly lousy photos to use for Barry on his card back.  On the bright side, the front of the card is actually well done - and Larkin being described by the word "presence" feels apropos given his steely stare in the photograph.  

This is a set that I really want to like but I simply can't based on some of the design choices.  Unfortunately, Fleer was making a lot of questionable design choices in the mid-90s so this particular set isn't unique in that way!  

Editor's Note:  I wrote this blog post early last week but scheduled it for today.  In between the time I wrote the post and now, Tom from The Angels, In Order has restarted his long dormant blog all about the 1995 Skybox E-Motion set.  I encourage you to check out his work (and here's his post about the very card featured on my blog today)!

Comments

  1. I love those Reds uniforms as well. Thanks for the shout-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in 1995, most of my money was going towards hockey products... but I remember opening up some of this stuff. It started with the idea of putting a pack inside of an individual box (like Flair)... which I thought was so cool. Then the cards themselves seem so highend. These days, I can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment