Featured Post

Buying Off Facebook Marketplace (Part 1)

A couple of weeks ago, someone on a baseball card collecting group that I'm in on Facebook posted a bunch of Barry Larkin cards for sale.  The seller had them all listed individually but since I needed all but one of the ten cards, I inquired about a single purchase price for the full lot.  To my surprise, the price came back at something I felt was reasonable and pulled the trigger.

A bit of an agonizing wait (since you can never really trust anything on Facebook I've found), but this story has a happy ending as I did end up receiving exactly what I thought I was buying!  

I'm going to spread out the purchase posts over the next week or so (intermixing in other posts) because I want to give each card I acquired it's chance in the spotlight.  For today's post, I figured it'd make sense to start with the three oldest cards that I acquired.

First, from 2002 Donruss Classics comes this pinstripe jersey #/300 on the backside.  



One great thing about this particular relic is that the card back shows the actual jersey from which the bit of cloth originated.  This is the one card from the purchase that I already owned, but I'm going to end up keeping this one instead because it has a lower serial number (in this case, 17/300).

Next, from 2007 SP Legendary Cuts comes this Masterful Material card.



There are only seven different Barry Larkin cards that I know of that fit into my collection (remember, I tend to ignore anything with a stated print run of less than 25 copies).  Thanks to my purchase, I now own two of the seven cards from 2007!

Here's the full list of what I'm searching for (a "no" means I still need it):



Finally, we'll end with this relic card from the 2008 Donruss Threads set:



That's a Century Collection Materials relic and it happens to be numbered out of 100.  Much like 2007, there aren't many Barry Larkin cards in 2008 that I need to track down either.  In fact, with the above card now in hand I have three of the nine cards from 2008.  Baby steps!

Those three cards alone would have made a successful purchase but I'm nowhere near done yet!  I plan to post more from the purchase later this week, so stay tuned for that.

Comments

  1. I have a deep appreciation for those early to mid Donruss/Leaf/Playoff memorabilia cards that showed a photo of the jersey on the back. It's a nice added touch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment