Featured Post

I've Got 99 Problems and Storage Space is One of Them.

I assume most collectors have (or eventually will) run into the same problem that I've run into in the past couple of years:  Space.  More specifically, space to store your collection.  My main dilemma is two-fold:
  • First, I like to collect full sets.
  • Second, I like to store my sets in binders.

Put those two points together and you get an exceedingly space-intensive hobby.  Sets are big and binders are even bigger...and very quickly entire bookshelves can be filled up with no space for new stuff!  That's the dilemma that I find myself in currently.  I have what amounts to essentially four bookshelves for holding my baseball card collection.  Of those, three currently hold set binders (mostly) while the fourth holds my trade bait and some of my non-Barry Larkin PC guys.  Unfortunately, I'm down to about a shelf-and-a-half left of room before something drastic will have to happen to my collection and/or storage area.

All that is to say, I no longer take on collecting sets unless I really like the set.  And so, that brings me to today's eBay purchase - a big lot of cards from the 2024 Topps Series 2 Silver Pack Chrome set:

Laziest card scan ever, I know.


I love the '89 card design and coupled with the shiny Chrome treatment I find the set a lot of fun.  So much fun that I'm chasing both the Series 1 and Series 2 sets (each of which are 100 cards strong).  Couple those two sets with the 2024 Topps flagship set and that's going to be TWO full binders that need to get added to my limited storage space.  I also know that I'll be chasing this year's Allen & Ginter set as usual (unless Topps really screws up that set).  So yes, storage problems are real!

Comments

  1. I have recently begun to put my sets in the binder pages back to back. Only use half the number of sheets. Idea stolen from Night Owl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Don't overlook double-bagging, it's a huge space-saver. How often are you looking at card backs, you can always pull out the card. ... That said, I am approaching a space crunch, but I have some creative rearranging I can do before it's a big problem.

      Delete
    2. That's an idea that I probably ought to pursue!

      Delete
  2. The lack of space issue is real. I started cutting back on putting my completed sets into binders about a decade ago. These days only my favorite sets and any vintage sets get the binder treatment. Space isn't the only issue. The price of Ultra Pro pages is also an issue. I know double-bagging would solve both problems, but I'm a creature of habit and not something I'll adopt anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment