Featured Post

And "Pop" Goes the Set Binder Shelving Unit!

The other day, my wife and I were sitting in our living room watching TV when we heard what sounded like a loud "pop."  We immediately got up and searched around the house to figure out what the sound was but we couldn't come with any reasonable solution.  

Flash forward to the next day and I'm downstairs in my man cave and I see this:




Yeah, that loud pop was actually one of the shelves finally snapping under the weight of my baseball card binders.  Unfortunately for me, the shelf that broke was part of my tallest bookshelf and now it's basically shot in terms of being able to support any sort of weight.  

I suppose that those cheap shelves shouldn't have been holding 8+ baseball card set binders.  Lesson learned by me!  Luckily, I was able to order some new shelves that I hope to get assembled and moved into place before the weekend is over.  For now, though, I'll continue to carefully walk over and around a big pile of set binders that are currently residing on my man cave floor!


On a related note, does it bother anyone else to have set binders on a shelf that are all different colors?  I've been slowly trying to track down white binders to move all of my sets into similar-looking binders.  Luckily for me, my workplace is a college and there are often people looking to unload a stack of 3-ring binders!

Comments

  1. Sorry your shelf broke. Hopefully none of the cards got any damage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cards survived. There was a tall binder on the bottom shelf that (mostly) held up the damaged shelf and binders.

      Delete
  2. Oof, that's inconvenient. ... All my binders are different colors and styles. It doesn't bother me at all. I still need to replace about 3 that are in lousy shape. Won't think about any other sprucing until that's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your bookshelf. A similar thing happened to my classroom bookshelf. I ended up having to hammer nails into the sides and into the shelves themselves. Hoping it lasts me until I retire, but we shall see.

    All of my binders (on my shelf) are black from one specific company that I also use for my classroom. These house player collections, vintage, and other random collections. But the binders that contain my favorite sets are usually the Ultra Pro binders (because they're more sturdy). Those are a variety of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of my binders match (my source is the same as yours) though I'd love to upgrade to fancy slipcase binders someday. Bummer about the shelf. I switched to those square shelves (think IKEA Kallax) a while ago because I was getting paranoid about this happening to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estate sales and thrift stores are a great source for real bookshelves, i.e. those made out of solid wood. As for binder colors, mine are all different, but I prefer color, so it works out well for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment