Featured Post

Board Game Friday: Tier Ranking the Monopoly Pawns

Happy Friday, everyone!  Earlier this week, I ran across someone's tier ranking of Monopoly pawns and I thought that would be a fun exercise for me to complete as well.  Even better, it requires very little time or brain power on my part (which is good on both counts since I'm t-minus two days and change until the start of the semester)!

Without further ado, here is my tier ranking:



I think my ranking makes it quite clear I'm an "old school" Monopoly player.  Perhaps more accurately, I should say I haven't played Monopoly in years (so many better board games out there now) but there was a time when I loved Monopoly.  

S Tier:  The doggy, of course.  This was my go-to pawn of choice when playing with my family as a kid.

A Tier:  The car and the iron are both great for smooth zooming around the board.  The car is sort of "obviously cool" but I always found the iron to be a humorous choice.

B Tier:  The thimble (funny, but not as fun to zoom around as the Iron), the ship, and the wheelbarrow.  These are perfectly solid options but not ones that I would usually gravitate to playing with.

C Tier:  Cannon and hat are both perfectly boring.  The cannon makes very little sense in Monopoly (then again, I guess half the tokens make very little sense for traveling around a town/city/boardwalk).  

D Tier:  The shoe and the horse.  The shoe is probably the most boring of all the tokens (yes, even worse than the Thimble) while the horse is prone to falling over which annoys me in any type of board game.  

The rest:  A bunch of newer tokens in the version of Monopoly that I've never played (and probably never will).  

That does it for my tier ranking of Monopoly pawns.  I'm curious if any of you had a "go-to" pawn of choice back in the day?!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably put the dog and car together in the top tier since those are the only two that are worth fighting over. Great call on the horse and rider being topple-prone and those the worst. And 100% agreement about the new stuff being awful.

    As for the rest I'm slightly biased against the military stuff as not fitting the game concept and I do sort of like the idea of imaging the wheelbarrow as filling up with cash over the course of play. So that leaves me with:

    S: scottie dog, car
    A: wheelbarrow, iron
    B: thimble, hat, shoe
    C: howitzer, battleship
    D: horse and rider
    GTFOOH: all that new shit

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first pick was always the car. If that wasn't available, then it was the dog. Guess it's been a few years since I've played, because I don't recognize any of those newer playing pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment