Featured Post

Goodbye Joey Votto!

This past week, Reds great Joey Votto finally called it a career.  After leaving the Reds in the past offseason, Joey signed on with the Blue Jays in a final attempt to play for his home country.  Unfortunately for Joey, he injured himself right away in spring training (after hitting a home run, no less) and basically never recovered back to his old self.  He called it quits last week having never stepped foot on a MLB field as a Blue Jay.  Thus, for Reds fans anyhow, Joey was a lifelong Cincinnati Red!

Loyal readers will know that I'm a huge Barry Larkin fan and collector, in no small part because he spent his entire career with the Reds.  What those same readers may not know is that I also have a modest personal collection of Joey Votto cards as well.  Now that Votto is retired, I could see myself chasing after more of his cards in addition to the cards of Barry.  I wonder if Topps will have a lot of love for Votto in future sets or if he'll kind of be forgotten like so many other players?!

While I can't answer what Topps will do, I can say that Votto won't be forgotten by me any time soon.  In fact, a couple of weeks ago I picked up the following card for my Larkin Collection and figured today was the perfect day to show it off since it also features Joey Votto!


I don't generally chase high-end relic sets but this card was too pretty to pass up.  The fact that it is serially numbered 100/199 doesn't hurt either as who doesn't like "hero" numbers?  

In summary, I think the above relic shows the two best lifelong Cincinnati Reds players in my lifetime.  For that reason alone, the relic was worth the bid on eBay!

Comments

  1. Really enjoyed Votto - both as a player and a personality. Hope he enjoys retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Votto was so entertaining. He's definitely one of those guys I enjoyed collecting over the past 15 years. I feel like he was so unique and quirky... that Topps will definitely continue creating cards for him and his fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next stop Hall of Fame!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment