Featured Post

Set Complete! (Nearly 20 Years in the Making!)

Back in 2009, I was in the midst of a full-blown collecting revival.  I had discovered baseball card blogging, and between blogging, buying cards, and lots of trading, I was knee-deep in collecting a ton of different sets.  In fact, in 2009 alone I built the following sets:

  • Topps Allen & Ginter
  • Topps American Heritage
  • Topps American Heritage American Heroes
  • Topps Series 1
  • Topps Series 2
  • Topps Update & Highlights
  • UD Goudey
  • UD Spectrum
In addition, in 2009, I also attempted to collect the 2009 Topps Heritage set.  

Unfortunately, at the time, I did not realize that the '09 Heritage set had a super short print in the base set (#698:  Gary Sheffield).  For years and years, I attempted to trade for the card and/or purchase it outright without any success.  Well, now, after nearly 20 years, I am finally the proud owner of the complete 2009 Topps Heritage set.  That's right, I finally landed my white whale!


The worst part is, I never even liked Gary Sheffield, so for it to be his card that was the super short print was super annoying (then again, imagine if the SSP was someone like Mike Trout or, nowadays, Shohei Ohtani, yikes)!  

It feels awesome to have the 2009 Topps Heritage set complete.  I made a promise to myself several years ago that I wouldn't start collecting another Heritage set until I completed all of the Topps Heritage sets that I had already started.  I was successful in knocking most of those sets off of my want list with a bit of effort, but the '09 Sheffield proved incredibly elusive!  Now, finally, I'm done with the project!  And yes, maybe someday I'll collect another Heritage set, though probably not until Topps gets up the 1987 (or later) designs.  I don't have much affinity for most of the early 80s designs since those came about before I was born and/or collecting cards.  For now, I'm content to stare at my want list that is officially one set lighter!  

Comments