Featured Post

Photo Blogging: Yankee Stadium

As any baseball fan will tell you, there’s nothing like catching a game at the ballpark. I have been fortunate in my life to see games at many different ballparks, including Cincinnati (Riverfront w/ turf, Riverfront w/ natural grass, and Great American), Philadelphia (Veterans and Citizens Bank), Pittsburgh (Three Rivers and PNC Park), Baltimore (Camden), Cleveland (Jacobs Field), New York (Shea), and San Diego (Petco).

Despite a decent list of ballparks visited, there were still three “big ones” that I had never visited: Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, and Wrigley Field. As a baseball enthusiast, it’s been my goal to attend a game at each of the aforementioned parks at least once before I die. Of course, those of you who are on top of baseball happenings realize that Yankee Stadium is 40 some games away from being demolished for good. Luckily for me, I was able to catch a game (via a bus trip) there last weekend when they played my Cincinnati Reds.



First, the bad news… As it seems to be my luck, the game I attended was the only game in which my Reds lost while at New York. I suppose it was a good thing I didn’t bring along a broom to the stadium…



My seats were in the outfield bleachers, which aren’t nearly as bad as people make them out to be. First, the seats themselves offer a nice view of the ballpark. I had never sat in outfield bleachers before (in any stadium), so that was a unique experience for me. However, the seats offered me another great view of the weather…namely, a devastatingly strong storm that approached the ballpark during the middle of the game.





Now, mathematically speaking, the Yankee Stadium bleacher concessions section was not meant to hold all the people sitting in the bleachers at once. After the rains started, we all shuffled down to the covered concessions area…like a bunch of sardines in a can. (Speaking of, does anyone ever buy sardines in a can anymore?)



After about an hour of standing around in a cramped, smelly place, the rains finally stopped and we retook our seat. The game itself was rather uneventful for a Reds fan, except when Ken Griffey Jr. hit his 601st homerun of his career. That was exciting for me since I have always liked Griffey Jr, going back to his days in Seattle. I think Griffey should provide me with tickets though, since I appear to be good luck for him… When I saw the Reds play in Cleveland a few years ago, I watched Griffey hit his 498th homerun.






After returning to the bus for the trip home, I took a moment to reflect on Yankee Stadium. The Stadium is undoubtedly a place chockfull of history and mystique, there’s no doubt. However, the stadium itself is rather dumpy. It’s no mystery why the Steinbrenners wanted a new Yankee Stadium! That said, I highly recommend that you make the trip to New York to catch a game at Yankee Stadium this year. Oh, and you can wear opposing colors in the bleacher section – but at your own risk. I was fine with my Reds hat, but I did see another Reds fan get tossed from the stadium…

Until next time, keep readin’
-fanofreds

Comments

  1. Mrs. Mo and I attended a Sox game there several years ago - great place...a bit bizzarro for me, given the Sox/Yankees thing.

    We're planning to catch a game there this summer to allow my kids to say they saw a game there before it was demolished.

    Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to a few stadiums myself over the years. Metrodome, Vet, whatever they call Detroit's new one, Miller Park, and the Brew Crews park before that, and
    Kansas City's.

    I am fortunate enough to have been to Fenway, Yankee, and Wrigley. Although I am a Sox guy, I was in awe to be in Yankee Stadium knowing how many great players have passed through it over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the luck of including both Yankee Stadium and Fenway in the three parks I've seen games. The other being Olympic Stadium in Montreal, back when Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom, and Delino Deshields were still drawing somewhat of a gate.

    As for bleacher seats, I've never been in a bad one. Sure they get hot, but they off the only unobstructed views in some ballparks.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @lester's legend...Comerica Park in Detroit! Sorry, I live 15 minutes from the Stadium and have some good memories with family and friends since it has been built.

    Anyways I know Yankee Stadium is geting pretty old and dingy, I heard about the slight flooding from the storm on Sunday in the stadium but it is well worth the effort to experience the crowd in all its glory. If anyone is interested, here is a link to trying to winning a free trip to NYC and some tickets to an upcoming ball game (hint, hint): Life Changing Box. Its a Facebook game that I am currently promoting for the PR company I work for. Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment