Featured Post

Quick Hits - Volume XXII - Voting Time


It's baaaaaaack! My version of Quick Hits is simply what I think about certain issues. Quick Hits gives me a chance to talk about my team, my life, or anything else on my mind. If you aren't prepared for that, leave now! I began the quick hits series on my Sporting News blog, completing a total of 21 different entries (or more accurately XXI total entries since I always numbered them with Roman numerals). Without further ado, here is Quick Hits XXII, the first entry on my new blog!



1. Fantasy football (not that fantasy football guys) vs. rooting interests: It’s no secret that I am a Steelers fan (and with that includes rooting against the Browns, Bengals, and Ravens whenever possible). However, this year I drafted Kellen Winslow in my fantasy football league. I found last night’s Browns-Steelers game to be a bit different because I was (secretly?) rooting for all the Browns to do terrible except Winslow. This wouldn’t have been a big deal except the Steelers were never exactly way ahead in the game… The question: Do you change your rooting habits for fantasy sports (in any sport)?


2. Firing Ned Yost vs. conventional wisdom: Conventional wisdom says you don’t fire a guy with only 12 games remaining in the Major League Baseball season. Conventional wisdom says you don’t fire your manager when you are in the lead for the Wild Card. You certainly don’t fire your manager when you are in the Wild Card lead and only have 12 games remaining before playoffs, right? According to the Brewers (no playoffs since 1982), this how you make sure you make the playoffs. Now, I’m not sure, but my friend the KarmicBoomerang may suggest that karma may bite the Brewers in their collective rears with the trigger-move firing of Yost. The question: Do you agree with the firing of Yost or is it the beginning of the end for the Brewers playoff chances?


3. Politics: The question: Is it me, or are all political discussions amongst your friends, colleagues, or acquaintances extra feisty this year as compared to previous election years? Obama fired up minorities, Hillary and later Palin fired up woman, McCain fired up the veterans, and Biden fired up (well, maybe Biden didn’t fire anyone up)…but it certainly seems like everyone has a personal stake in the election. (Though it should be noted that none of the candidates have attempted to appeal to people like Mo or myself, educated, relatively young male middle-class voters who refuse to be persuaded by negative and/or hollow ads.)


That’s all I got, what’s on your mind?
Source:

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:09 AM

    hey Freds, lovin this: my 1st time to see your "quick hits".

    i don't do fantasy football at all.....so i've got nadda on that subject.

    pallin/hillary did not fire me up, can't stand either one of them, at all ;0
    yes, things are extra spirited, specially when we are crossing over parties as i myself am doing.
    i was just talking to a friend of mine last night who teaches kindergarten here in my town: pretty much bottom line, OBAMA 08 across the board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do root for my guys to do well against my team, but I want my team to win first and foremost. It has changed the complexion of how I watch football.

    There must have been something behind the scenes that led to the firing. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to rock the boat.

    I haven't gotten fired up. I'm not confident either candidate is the one that's going to turn this thing around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:36 PM

    i think i have a mental block, i cannot spell her name right ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I root for my guys and my fav team is DaBears, except when playing against McNabb ;) It is the conspirancy of the NFL to expand and learn about other teams while rooting for them. This does provide a grea segway into the political garbage that exists today. I love America and have no inclination to move to any other country, but the elections every year make a mockery of our culture as American's

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will sometimes do my best to avoid playing guys from teams that play against the Bears. However, the stud players I have will start regardless. Of course, I want the Bears to win first, and my fantasy teams come second.

    Excellent work as always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment