Featured Post

Steelers vs. Ravens: Fantasy Football Night for the Ages!


I entered the Monday Night Football game down 11 points to the league leader in my fantasy football league. As a lifelong Steelers fan, I have a few "homer" players on my team including the Steelers field goal kicker Reed, wide receiver Holmes, and tight end Miller. For this week's games, I started both Reed and Holmes figuring the Steelers would try to throw on the Ravens (since they are so good at stopping the run) and probably be kicking a lot of field goals.


As it turned out, I was correct. The Ravens defense was staunch, surrounding a measly field goal (but 4 points for me) in the first half. However, a 38 yard pass from Big Ben to Santonio Holmes in the third quarter lifted both the Steelers hopes and my fantasy team's score. Fourteen seconds later, the Steelers forced a fumble by hitting Raven's rookie quarterback Joe Flacco and bam, all of the sudden the lifeless Steelers went ahead of the Ravens 17-13.


Although the game is still going on (and certainly it's anyone's game, the lead is only 4 points), this game has provided me with a double thrill that only fantasy football and one's favorite team can provide. The odds of simultaneously winning the fantasy week (against the division leader no less) AND having your team back in the game, and then in the next 15 seconds ahead in the game results in stuff of fantasy league legends.


Now if only my Steelers can hold on and defeat the hated Ravens (without either Parker or Mendenhall), this night will be a Monday Night Football night for the ages for me. Here we go Steelers, here we go!


Source:

Comments

  1. EDIT: Wow, what a game that ended up being. Anyone have 43 combined points for the Steelers/Ravens? I believe it was Kornheiser who said that the two teams combined couldn't get 20 points...turned out they both got 20 points.

    Steelers ground out the victory, but they were down to their last running back. No word yet on the severity of the injuries...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great game. I would have never thought the score would be 23-20. I was thinking somewhere around 14-10 at the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:34 AM

    I needed 12 points to take 1st for the week in my league. The only player I had tonight was Pittsburgh's defense. After the 1st half I had 1 point.

    THEN....SACK...FUMBLE....TOUCHDOWN!

    I ended up getting 17 points. THANKS STEELER 'D'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what would've made that good game REALLY GREAT is if it were broadcast on another network.

    ANY network.

    Lifetime even!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:43 AM

    AWESOME game freds, congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the game was sick nice post "freds".
    thank you steelers for bringin it

    ReplyDelete
  7. tcp: I actually believed that the Steelers would score quite a bit...I guess I remembered how they whooped up on Baltimore last year on Monday Night Football and hoped for a repeat performance!

    karmic: This game worked out well for both of us then! The fumble and touchdown was huge!

    CCC: hahaha, yes, you are entirely correct. Did you catch one of the hosts saying "and now some more shameless self promotion" as they cut back to the desk after the game ended? I'm not sure who said it but it made me laugh (and it probably wasn't meant to be aired).

    ck: Heckuva lot better than last week (at least for me)!

    rideordie: Yeah, it was. Thanks for stoppin' in

    Lester: Thanks man (not that I did anything but sit and watch, but you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:22 PM

    Ben rallied his men, it was awesome to watch!! almost like a "war" cry from him. very intense. i'm just sorry players had to be lost in this one. !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was at the gym it was 13-3 and Big Ben looked pathetic...imagine my surprise...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i still got creamed....really, just leveled. I was like the local High School team out there against the Steelers. SMOKED and nothing was going to keep that from happening

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment