Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Stories You Might Have Missed: Volume II


With the political season in full swing, some people seem to believe they have voting tendencies all figured out. For instance, take your average smart voter. Smart people only vote for Obama, at least according to Luke Russert (son of the late Tim Russert), "The smartest kids in the state (Virginia) go there so it (University of Virginia) is leaning a little bit toward Obama." Later on, Russert took back his comments with an apology that he posted to his blog...

Russert isn't the only one who has been quoted saying that they have figured out the voters. Think about your bedroom or office. Is it clean and tidy? Is it colorful? Stylish? Organized? Cluttered?

According to New York University psychologist John Jost and his colleagues (who obviously have too much free time on their hands), "Conservatives and liberals leave behind distinct 'behavioral residue' that can be picked up by savvy scientists and possibly other observers."

For the record, Jost claims that conservatives have organized, brightly lit, and less cluttered rooms and offices while liberals have more clutter and color in their rooms. Furthermore, Jost's study claims that conservatives are more likely to have "organizational and cleaning supplies, including calendars, postage stamps, ironing boards and laundry baskets." Liberals are more likely to have "more CDs, a greater variety of CDs, and a greater variety of books."




Of course, there's more going on in the world than politics (even if the advertisements on every single freaking television station seem to indicate otherwise). In fact, there's only one October, did you know that? Leave it to Major League Baseball to remind us that the month of October only occurs once each year. They run advertisements telling us that *ahem* breaking news...and you expect MLB to be able to figure out who was doping in the late 90s and early 2000s? Seriously, Barry Bond's big head wasn't enough of a clue...these guys just figured out that those calendars they buy every year are actually correct, there's only one October in 2008 just like there was in 2007, and 2006, and 2005, and 2004... Apparently, they keep hoping there will be an extra October one year just like there's an extra day in February some years.

And finally, just to prove that Sarah Palin isn't the dumbest person on the earth (though the more she opens her mouth the more I'm not convinced), may I present the following contestant from "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"




And now you know. You're welcome.






Sources:

Comments

  1. dude

    I saw that show

    that was Sarah Bush with a bush right after kid # 26, and before the weight loss/ cosmetic surgery

    still...I just spit my water at that answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rdStone: Haha. At least your computer screen got cleaned, that's a service that comes for free with my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:07 AM

    TCP i'm with you on that blurp of his: i've been repulican all my life
    *dunks flying rocks* and my office is not neat, nor is it well lit....1/2 the time i'm squinting over my laptop ;0

    btw i'm running LEFT this year...No McCain/Palin train wreck please, k thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tcp: Nope, I didn't photoshop that...when I saw it I laughed (and cried at the same time I think)

    ck: I don't fit either "type" either. I'm moderately neat but I can't ever seem to avoid the clutter. My office is well lit but I have a bunch of books in it as well (I have to, I work at a college!)

    Lester: Thanks man

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, let me get this right, YOU think the MOON is bigger than an elephant? Is THAT what you're saying?

    I'm curious: I'm putting together a hypothesis on the basis of Russert's comments and the sociological residue study, that REALLY stupid people would be that much more organized because they'd be more conservative, and really smart people, who are liberals, would be more disorganized? Hmmm. Sounds like an opportunity to put in a grant request to find the answer!

    Nice work Chris...even though you think the moon is bigger than an elephant. Oh, and I have to go organize my desk now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:57 PM

    i like russert's son.....i guess it's odd to call him that & even odder that he will probably always be known as such ;0

    i meant to include that in my morning HELLO to your blog, but YA it was early & the dem/rep side of me was calling forth LOL!

    WATCH the debate tonight!! i'm pretty excited for it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment