Featured Post

2009 Topps: AKA: Pack Searcher Fail!

A quick visit to Wal*Mart to pick up some yellow padded envelopes for trade mailing allowed me the opportunity to peruse the card aisle. After patiently waiting for a 6 year old to pick the pack of Pokemon cards he wanted (how embarassing to wait), I finally saw (in person) my first 2009 baseball card packs!

I had to choose between a blaster of 2009 Upper Deck or loose packs of 2009 Topps. Normally I'd pick the blaster every time since it wouldn't "searched" but the 2009 Topps design pulled me towards that loose packs. I decided to grab 6 packs from the gravity feeder (and a blaster of American Heritage) and I was off, expecting to get nothing but pretty base cards - but I was wrong!

It turns out, the pack searches failed! I managed to snag a "Career Best" Jersey card of Ryan Howard. This is noteworthy because it was from a loose pack AND because it's one of the rare times where I've actually pulled a relic card from a decent player from a low-end set.


The other 5 packs weren't disappointing either, I ended up with:


2 gold cards (Albert Pujols and Bud Black #/2009):

1 Turkey Red
of Alex Rios

2 Legends of the Game (Pee Wee Reese and Roberto Clemente)

and a bunch of base cards, including:

Johnny Cueto (my only Red)

Brothers In Arms (Saltamacchia and Hamilton)

David Price (much ballyhooed rookie card)

Overall, I really like the Topps base set for the first time in a number of years. I'll be sure to pick up some more of this next time I see it - and I might even buy loose packs again!

Comments

  1. Well that puts the 10 packs I've opened so far to shame (by the way, '09 Topps has disappeared from my area again. It was here for one whole week, then gone again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've had better luck lately, though these were the first 2009 packs I've opened.

    I've done fairly well with American Heritage too (nothing spectacular, but I can't complain).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:17 PM

    Nice!! I am beginning to wonder if my area will ever see Topps blasters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment