Featured Post

Black Bordered 2009 Topps - 2 Blaster Review

I headed back to the infamous Wal*Mart just to see if they had any more 2009 Topps blasters. As luck would have it, they had one remaining which I was able to scoop up...and yes, it was another black bordered box.

After opening the box, I decided to put the two black-bordered blasters together and summerize my pulls...

What I opened: Two 2009 Topps Series 1 blasters (from Wal*Mart).

2 Historical Commemorative Patches:
LPR-7: Ted Williams and LPR-40: Reggie Jackson

2 Gold Cards (#ed/2009):
#221 League Leaders (Lee, Hallady, & Matsuzaka) and #315 Hiroki Kuroda

2 Short Prints (both white bordered)
#10: Rogers Hornsby and #30: Jackie Robinson

2 Turkey Reds:
TR25: Alex Rodriguez and TR44: Ervin Santana

2 Legends of the Game:
#LG4: Ty Cobb and #LG25: Cal Ripken Jr.

19 Topps Town Code Cards
(17 silver and 2 gold)

A nice pile of base cards without a single duplicate!

Overall, I definitely think the black-bordered "dark" Topps cards have grown on me. I haven't decided whether I want to chase the black set or the white bordered set...I kind of prefer the black bordered set with the white short print cards, it makes the short prints stand out more.

I really like the short print cards though I know others don't necessarily like them. I think it makes each pack of base Topps feel just a bit more like cracking a pack of Heritage, and I mean that as a compliment to base Topps! I also really like the manufactured patches, though I can't believe in 50 players they couldn't find a single Cincinnati Red to showcase. I'm debating about putting my patches on eBay however, seeing how they are going for fairly insane prices right now and then I could afford some new boxes of cards... We'll see. I do think I want to try to collect all the base variations though...I'm on my way with these two.

The rest of the inserts are alright, there aren't any that I hate so I can't really complain. The Turkey Red cards are nice, but they seem the most out of place in the set...especially if you are opening an "all black" blaster.

Bottom line: I give the "gimmick" black bordered 2009 Dark Topps an 80/100.

Comments

  1. Short print cards: me likey

    manufactured patches: don't get them at all

    turkey reds: I can take 'em or leave 'em. They look better this year at least.

    Dark Topps: I don't know. Plan to find out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you decide you don't like the black bordered ones I'll trade you whites for blacks. I want to pull a short print, especially that one you got with the Brave player in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Reggie patch is prety sweet! Let me know if you decide to part with it, and maybe we can work something out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:33 AM

    ive got about 4 black blasters so far, and a few nice white short prints to show for them. i just dont get how the math works on this, when you add it all up your value seems to be WAY over 20 bucks every time.
    love the patches. got met ott, lou gehrig, tom seaver and nolan ryan so far. thinking about collecting the whole set.
    jvanhine90@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment