Featured Post

What the #@?! 2009 Topps Goes Black?!

I had to go to Wal*Mart today, so (of course) I also visited the card aisle and picked up a blaster of 2009 Topps.

My first pack I opened up a black bordered card (which I thought was a parallel of somet type at first), but then the second card, the third card, and EVERY SINGLE (non-insert/short print) in the blaster was black bordered.

What is going on?

For comparison, here's two Carl Pavano cards, the white card came from packs I bought at Wal*Mart last week. The black bordered card came out of the blaster I bought today.
I couldn't find any other differences between the two cards, so what is going on?!?!

For the record, I really liked the white-bordered cards, but the black-borders are terrible looking...

(and to add further intrigue, I pulled the Jackie Robinson short print card it had a white border).

Anyone know?

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:33 PM

    No idea, but those black border cards look like trash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: I wrote an email to Topps about the issue, I'll post if/when I hear anything from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take a look at Old School Breaks and Cardboard Junkie. Same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    GIIIIMMMIIIICCCCKKKSSSSS!!!!

    ahem.

    Anything different on the blaster box? 2009 Topps Series 1: Goth edition? Maybe there's a Twilight tie-in. Same patch for a box topper?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No difference on the box (as far as I could see).

    The inserts and box topper were the same as before. I even pulled a white-bordered short print of Jackie Robinson in one of the packs... No idea what happened here, interesting that people all over are finding this though, looks like Topps seriously screwed something up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would it take to get that JRob card from you???

    And on an unrelated note...wow. The plot sickens.

    If you noticed, all that is left of the picture is the player himself. The background is gone. This may be the unannounced parallel (akin to the red backs in 2007 and the gold foil in 2008). Could this be just a WalMart thing??? I'm checking tomorrow.

    But back to the Jackie card? What would you like for it in exchange???

    Sincerely,

    JayBee Anama
    bdj610

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:11 PM

    Hey Chris. Thanks for the comment, sorry for the late reply. My blaster also came from Walmart. Where did you pick up the other "normal" blaster?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment